TFT Touch Screen... a bit slow.

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
strredwolf

TFT Touch Screen... a bit slow.

Post by strredwolf »

While I'm a bit late for doing the first Minecraft related project using an Arduino, I'm a good candidate for the second one.

I ported the LCD Minecraft code to the Arduino + TFT Touch Screen. To prove that it was possible, I coded it so it generated the portal animation on the fly. I've upload the sketch to here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/111566/Forum/MCPortal.pde

There's two issues. First is scaling, because a portal in Minecraft is a 2x3 chunk of portal blocks, and blocks are 16 pixels to a side. That's 128x192. To fit it all in 240x320, I use 6x size pixels. I probably need to center the portal and build around it.

The second is speed. Doing it on the fly shows that the portal is actually getting drawn pixel by pixel. While there may be some minor speedups (not calculating the alpha channel, for instance), I'm not sure if the LCD is fast enough. Is there a way to do display RAM to display RAM copies purely on the TFT?

Any other ways to improve it? This is on a Demoville.

adafruit

Re: TFT Touch Screen... a bit slow.

Post by adafruit »

the 16mhz Arduino is just waay too slow to drive an LCD with any video or fast animation. you could try a 72mhz arm board like the lpc1343?

asselinpaul

Post by asselinpaul »

Or just wait for the Arduino Due to come out.
It's got an ARM processor and would easy drive that display.

strredwolf

Post by strredwolf »

The Due ARM board is probably best. Besides, I'm thinking of running a classic BBS off of it, if we can get a decent Ethernet board w/o the 4-connection limit for it.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”