Amplifying Waveshield Signal and Sending to 4 Speakers

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
nels6795

Amplifying Waveshield Signal and Sending to 4 Speakers

Post by nels6795 »

Hello,

So here is my situation: I am trying to send a Waveshield audio signal to four speakers (probably 4" speakers, each 3W, 4 ohms) to play the audio signal at the same time at equal volumes. Should I just hook up an amplifier circuit to the Waveshield output and then split the signal into four paths at the amplifier output (or wire in series)? Does anyone have any idea how this would work out? I need to be schooled in audio-electronics more...
I would like each speaker to play the audio at about speaking volume. As of right now, I don't have any of the components, but I have dealt with Waveshield before and sending the audio signal to a single speaker (which was never loud enough...)

Thanks

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Amplifying Waveshield Signal and Sending to 4 Speakers

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

As of right now, I don't have any of the components
The easiest way is to pick up a couple pairs of amplified computer speakers. Find a 1/8" phono plug splitter cable and plug them both in.

nels6795

Post by nels6795 »

Thanks for the response.

The speakers will be mounted in a display. I will think about how I could make powered computer speakers work, but are there other methods? Could I use this (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=320-320) and then split the signal into four signals or wire the speakers in series off the output?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Maximum output power will be achieved only with a power supply of greater than 1A at 16VDC, into a nominal 2 ohm speaker load.
4 - 8-ohm speakers wired in parallel will give you a 2-ohm load.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”