motor shield and stepper motor set up.. HELP!!

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bigwestwc

motor shield and stepper motor set up.. HELP!!

Post by bigwestwc »

HI, after playing with the arduino for about 3 months i decided to buy my self a motor shield.im trying to use a 6 wire stepper motor with the preloaded stepper sketch that comes loaded on the arduino platform. can anyone help me. by default the sketch uses pins (8,9,10,11) should i change those? or should the adafruit motor shield recognize them? when i hook it up straight to the arduino the stepper works. just cant seem to figure out how to connect it to the shield. im using 4 wires the other 2 seems to work with out just fine. thx

adafruit_support_bill

Re: motor shield and stepper motor set up.. HELP!!

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

You need to use the AFMotor library or the AFMotor compatible version of the AccelStepper library. Both are available here: http://www.ladyada.net/make/mshield/download.html

bigwestwc

Post by bigwestwc »

ok, I see now. I was wondering why the AFmotor library wasn't being recognized. one more question. do i need to download both libraries? i see they both say to rename to the same name (AFmotor). whitch one would be the best to download, i plan on building me a cnc router and will be working with stepper motors and probably some servos on other projects. thank you again.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

For CNC work you will want the AccelStepper library. It has the capability to move multiple steppers simultaneously.

For servos, use the Servo library that comes with the IDE.

bigwestwc

Post by bigwestwc »

i figured it would be the AccelStepper library for a CNC project. Thank you for the fast replys :D

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”