wave shield with a keypad project

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
neimatoad

wave shield with a keypad project

Post by neimatoad »

hi, i'm very new at programming and have only recently purchased an arduino to play around with, so i have a few questions i would like to look into before i start this project i have in mind.
i would like the user to enter in a two digit number on a key pad then after hitting * or # as an enter button, i would like the wave shield to play a corresponing file on the sd card.
i've looked into doing this a little and i see that after adding i wave shield to my arduino uno i only have 6 out of the 7 pins to operate the keypad. i was wondering if there's a way i can get an extra pin from somewhere either from not using something on the wave shield that i dont need.i also realize that i could just buy an arduino mega but that would be spending and extra $30 just to have one more i/0 pin
i was also wandering if its even possible to play a specific file on the sd card and if so where can i find some example code

i would like to use this project to be almost like a very crude dynavox for a relative that has recently suffered a stroke and has become non verbal

i was just wandering if anybody could help me with my questions and maybe give me there opinion on the project in general

Thanks
neimatoad

adafruit_support_bill

Re: wave shield with a keypad project

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

i only have 6 out of the 7 pins to operate the keypad.
In addition to pins a0-a5, pins d6-d9 are also available.
i was also wandering if its even possible to play a specific file on the sd card and if so where can i find some example code
Check out the 6-button example here: http://www.ladyada.net/make/waveshield/ ... play6.html
And also the tutorial tab on the product page for the keypad: https://www.adafruit.com/products/419
The project you have in mind is quite doable. If you run into any snags during development, there is always help here on the forums. :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”