Stacking Ethernet shield and Touch Shield

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rajasaur

Stacking Ethernet shield and Touch Shield

Post by rajasaur »

Hello,
Im a complete newbie to Arduino , so please excuse if my terminologies are incorrect.
Im trying to stack an ethernet shield and the 2.8" TFT touch shield so that information from a website can be displayed on the LCD.

If I have a sketch that uses the Ethernet shield alone, it works fine and I can do a Serial.print to verify that it has read the website contents properly. Same is true with the TFT LCD examples (the ones on Adafruit run flawlessly).

When I stack them on top of other, there is no output on the LCD display although I can see that the data has been retrieved correctly (using Serial.print). I read through a lot of postings that indicated that if both the shields use the same pins , then that could be an issue.

The Ethernet shield seems to be using pin 10 for the wiznet 5100 and from http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoEthernetShield, it seems that pins 11-13 are also used by the Ethernet Shield. The Touch Shield also uses pins 5-13.

Would it be possible to turn off the Ethernet shield once the data has been retrieved. Some blog posts indicated that you could set a HIGH output on pin 10 to turn off the wiznet 5100, but I tried to do that after retrieving the data, but no use. Can someone give me a rough sketch that talks about how to disable the pins when working with multiple shields.

Would it be possible if I dont stack the shields but use a board to wire things manually? Since the PCBs are wired to go to certain pins, Im clueless how to proceed and it makes it very hard given that Im a newbie. Im reading through other arduino material but any help here would greatly help.

Thanks
Raja

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Stacking Ethernet shield and Touch Shield

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Definitely a pin-conflict problem. Disabling the WizNet module alone may not help as there is still circuitry attached to the pins.
Would it be possible if I dont stack the shields but use a board to wire things manually?
You could do that - using some of the analog pins as digital pins for the display. You would have to modify the library to use the different pins. We also have a breakout-board version of the 2.8" touch-screen display which might make a neater package than soldering to the pins on the shield.

rajasaur

Post by rajasaur »

Thanks very much. Let me try with the breakout board.

keimic

Post by keimic »

Hi, did you manage to solve the problem please? If yes, how? I am trying to build a project using the exact same two shields that you used and I am making my research so that I can know wether it's possible or not. Thanks!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”