microSD cards

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
scary

microSD cards

Post by scary »

Hi, I have the BlueSmokeLabs sensor shield. I have tried 3 different microSD cards with it, the most recent being a 2GB one I ordered from Adafruit Ind. in despair at the failure of the first two. That one, like the others, also gave me "card.init failed" or "failed to detect card" messages from both QuickStart & SDInfo from the SdFat library. The error message from this card is:

SD errorCode: 0X8
SD errorData: 0XFF

The 2nd card I tried- an unbranded 1GB microSD from my wife's phone- would give me a different error code when I used QuickStart:

card.init failed
SD errorCode: 0X1
SD errorData: 0X0

I can't remember which error the first card (Sandisk 2GB) I tried gave me but, as I did with the next two, I pissed around trying to get it to work for a good few hours.

I am really fed up with this and I would appreciate it if anyone could throw me a bone here. All the cards were formatted with SD formatter, although I've also tried Windows Fat and FAT32 formats with similar results. ChipSelect is pin10, BTW and I've tried setting SPI_QUARTER_SPEED.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: microSD cards

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

"card.init failed" or "failed to detect card"
Have you contacted BlueSmokeLabs? These errors usually mean either a bad card or a problem with the board. If you have tried 3 cards, then it is likely the board.

scary

Re: microSD cards

Post by scary »

Thanks for the reply. I didn't think board failure was a likely cause so I haven't contacted the vendor but I'll give them a shout and see what they say.
S

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”