Data Logger Shield Wiring

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
johnover

Data Logger Shield Wiring

Post by johnover »

I completed my data logger shield, and everything looks fine but it's not working. Continue "card not present" error. I noticed that the instructions do not include a step for soldering any wires to any of the data pins - is that required?

I tried to upload a photo of my shield last time but it was apparently too large or something. The shield is 'stock' and clean, and I've rechedked the solder joints on the SD card slot a number of times. No cold solder joints, no solder bridges. Any other quick tips I might want to look at?

Thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Data Logger Shield Wiring

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

"card not present" error.
That is usually either a soldering problem or a card problem. If you have another card, try it. If you can upload photos, we'll take a look too. If you re-size to about 800x600, a jpeg should upload fine.

johnover

Post by johnover »

Sure - photo attached. I will go back over each solder joint again--are there any typical 'gotchas' or specific joints I should focus on?

And I guess that answers my main question - no wires are needed. Is the data logger hard-coded to pin 10 like the example code?
Attachments
Clean shield, best view I could get. Card works in Windows, on multiple devices.
Clean shield, best view I could get. Card works in Windows, on multiple devices.
WP_000279 small.jpg (90.17 KiB) Viewed 877 times

adafruit_support_bill

Looks like your 74AHC125 is in backwards. The notch should line up with the one on the silkscreen.

johnover

Post by johnover »

<FOREHEAD SMACK>

My balloon crew consists of two 13-year olds and a 15-year old. The youngsters (who have experience) soldered... I neglected to tell them about the orientation on that chip. Thank you for the t-shooting. I'll fire up the desoldering station and get that fixed ASAP. Thank you!!

adafruit_support_bill

I know the territory. I regularly coach a bunch of 10-12 year old's. :D

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”