Battery backup for GPS shield

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
wesg

Battery backup for GPS shield

Post by wesg »

I just bought the GPS shield and receiver, with the plan of putting it in my car to do a little travel visualization. The last bit of the tutorial states that the Arduino and shield shouldn't be powered off without pulling the TX wire first. There is also a mention about a battery backup on the shield, so does that mean with the battery I can pull the power plug so that the buffer is written before shutting down? It would be great if there was something I could do to avoid pulling the TX wire each time.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Battery backup for GPS shield

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The battery backup is for the GPS module. It will not keep the SD card interface powered through the write cycle.

wesg

Post by wesg »

Is there anything I can do to create a write buffer for when the power goes off?

adafruit_support_bill

You could add a "shutdown" button to stop the sketch (and maybe light a led to indicate that it is stopped) and then turn off the power.

wesg

Post by wesg »

That might work... what about a battery backup circuit that maybe uses a cap to provide power for a second or less? Is that a fairly simple circuit?

adafruit_support_bill

That could work. But you need to make sure that the sketch is stopped before the cap runs out.

wesg

Post by wesg »

Yep, that was my plan. I figure I'll try to use a pull-up resistor on one of the input pins to check for proper power, and enter a blank loop once the voltage drops. Thanks for your help, Adafruit support!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”