Measurements below -40C

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bobb

Measurements below -40C

Post by bobb »

I am starting to plan a weather shield, and am looking for a temperature that will measure down to -60C. Everything I can find stops at -40C, and the temps here at times fall below that number. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

bobb

Re: Measurements below -40C

Post by bobb »

... that would be a temperature sensor .... Thanks

brucef

Post by brucef »

TI sells a few sensors that go to -55C. Go to this page and click on "Temperature Sensor" in the left column to get their parametric search tool for temperature sensors. (I'd past the link to it directly, but it didn't copy & paste well for me for some reason.)

Maxim also has a bunch of sensors rated down to -55C that you can sort through.

Some -40C sensors seem to have -55C in their absolute ratings, so if you sift through the datasheets for the 20 or so -55C sensors from those two vendors you might be able to find one or two that claims absolute ratings down to -60C or below.

Brrr, I get cold just thinking about it.

ImaginaryAxis

Post by ImaginaryAxis »

Yes, but will the sensor itself be exposed to the ambient temperatures you will be working with?
-55 degrees is Military grade. If the sensor can be kept at a reasonable ambient temperature as it may be buttoned up in a unit then it's not even a problem. But as usual, there is (or should be) some margin with any semiconductor device, so -60 should not kill a device rated at -55.

bobb

Post by bobb »

Many thanks for your time and help. I will try and keep you posted as to how it all works out.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”