Wave Sheild dosent work! Please help..

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Tjarlot

Wave Sheild dosent work! Please help..

Post by Tjarlot »

Hello

I have a wave shield combined with an Arduino Mega 2650. When I'm trying to get the set to play some sounds from the SD-card but all I can hear is som kind of distortion. No real Sound has come out. It is hard to explain but it seems that the distortion stops when a new sound from the SD-card is starting, so it goes:

Distortion-quiet (no sound at all)- distortion -quiet...

I have already build two other sets of Arduino Mega 2650 and a wave sheild, which works very well. I'm sure I have formatted the SD and sounds correctly and I'm using the WaveHC library with the daphc-sketch (play all sounds on the card in loop) which also should work. I have checked my soldering and cables with a multimeter and they were fine (the signals should be able to run through).

So what can be wrong? Should I try to get a new one from the supplier?

Regards

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Wave Sheild dosent work! Please help..

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

It sounds like you have it mostly working. The problem is likely in either the DAC or the op-amp. You might try the "cheap headphone test" to see if the DAC output is OK.

If you post photos of the front & back of the board we can look for any assembly issues.

Tjarlot

Post by Tjarlot »

I dont know how to upload pics. I have tried to use the "Img" button, but what do I have to post in between the two [img][\img] ?

I tried the headphone test and my result was a lot of distorted noise on both sides of the R7 resistor and some kind of crackling noise from one side of the R8 resistor. (It seems like it is the same as "pronoybiswas" got).

I tried to read further on other posts on the wall where the headphone test was, but I was not enable to read this post:

http://www.engsistemi.com/download.php? ... CP4921.pdf

is it possible you can post it again?

what is the next step to do?

regards

adafruit_support_bill

I dont know how to upload pics. I have tried to use the "Img" button, but what do I have to post in between the two [img][\img] ?
The "img" button is for photos that are hosted on the web. You put the url between the [img][\img].
To upload photos from your computer: Use the "Upload attachment" tab below the edit window. If your photos are large, you may need to re-size them. 800x600 is a good size.
I tried the headphone test and my result was a lot of distorted noise on both sides of the R7 resistor
Then the problem is most likely around the DAC. If you can post those photos, we'll have a look.

Tjarlot

Post by Tjarlot »

Okay I just use the attachement tab... :oops:

here they are. Hopes they are okay...
Attachments
pic 4.JPG
pic 4.JPG (242.75 KiB) Viewed 1252 times
pic 3.JPG
pic 3.JPG (237.76 KiB) Viewed 1252 times
pic 1.JPG
pic 1.JPG (264.23 KiB) Viewed 1252 times

adafruit_support_bill

Your DAC chip is in backwards. Line the notch up with the notch in the silkscreen on the top of the board.

Tjarlot

Post by Tjarlot »

Well my sheild broke when I tried to remove the DAC so I bought a new one, but I just want to say thanks for your quick reply on this.

Merry Chrismas :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”