Error when uploading the arduino bootloader

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
paulc1

Error when uploading the arduino bootloader

Post by paulc1 »

Wile burning bootloader on blank Atmega328p using the standalone AVR ISP programmer shield and following tutorial verbatum,I get the following error:

Expected signature for Atmega 328p is IE 95 OF
Double check chip or use -F to override this check

Any suggestions?

Thanks

PS: I am using Arduino UNO as host and IDE version 022

adafruit

Re: Error when uploading the arduino bootloader

Post by adafruit »

post a clear photo of your wiring as well as the screenshot of the complete error

paulc1

Post by paulc1 »

Away from workstation for the week.
Meanwhile FYI I wired the protoshield exactly as the instructions
provided, then downloaded the software frm github as instructed, and successfuly uploaded to Arduino, then mounted the shied on Arduino UNO, then went to Tools /burning bootloader using Arduino ISP.
I could see active communication between computer and UNO and then the error message came up verbatim as listed in my original post.
I did notice in the same thread somebody reporting the same exact error message without any clear resolution of the matter.
Will send screen shots upon return home.
Thanks

westfw

Post by westfw »

The most likely cause for this particular error is that you accidentally bought Atmega328-pu chips instead of ATmega328p-pu chips. Does it report which signature it IS seeing? If not, it may be necessary to run the bootloader upload procedure outside of the arduino environment so that you can add more verbose debugging options.

paulc1

Post by paulc1 »

Indeed the original chip giving errors with the protoshiled was a 328 -pu chip purchased from Mouser and not a 328p-pu.

However I was able to load a arduino bootloader on it using Bill Westfield OptiLoader as described in the following forum post:

http://www.3guys1laser.com/blog-burn-bo ... rduino-uno.

That was really neat using Optiloader without a programmer.

The two 328p-pu's purchased from Mouser could not be bootloaded through Arduinio ISP come what may. Eventually I came accross a forum post suggesting placing a 10mF capacitor between Reset and Ground of the 328p-pu chip being programmed. That did it. I was able to bootload them both using the protoshield with the capacitor mounted on it.

Success in all cases was being able to download and run the Blink sketch in all chips.

Incidently my base board is an Aruino UNO-022 that Arduino Website says cannot be used to program bootloaders...

Hope this helps

Cheers

paulc1

Post by paulc1 »

As a PS to my prior post, while bootloading the two 328p-pu chips I had to call my UNO board 2009 (= Duemillanuve in Italian) as I had no success calling it Uno. However before burning, I had to switch it back to UNO since it would not work as 2009. Extremely confusing to me.

paulc1

Post by paulc1 »

Following up to my previous posts and adding to my confusion I tried to replicate my earlier successes using my previous setup, alas to no success this time.
Set up:
Main board Arduino: UNO with 320p-pu UNO chip Adafruit protoshield Chip to be re-bootloaded : 320p-pu bootloaded as 2009
Actions:
Downloaded ArduinoISP sketch to Arduino board and UNO chip
Uploaded skech to Arduino as UNO
mounted protoshield on Arduino and selected 2009
Did tools/Burn bootloader/w-Arduino ISP

after a few seconds kept getting the famous Yikes! error message.

Reconnected 10mf cap between reset and ground on protoshield as I did my earlier tests, but to no avail

Connected a 10k resistor betwwen Reset and 5V on protoshield-No luck

Replicated the whole process using my Arduino board and chip with a breadboard mounted 328p-pu and wired as depicted in Arduino tutorials (Same 2009 chip I used with the protoshield above), and success it worked.

The only difference between the breadboard try and the protoshield is that I placed a 16mh osc and two 22pf caps as Arduino tutorial mentioned on the chip to be rebootloaded.

So I did the same with the protoshield and squeezed a 16mh osc at pins 9 and 10 and associated 22pf caps between osc and gnd pin8, on the zip mount, soldered a 10k resistor between pin 1 and +5v and disconned the connection to pin9 from reset ,and voila! success again.

Conclusion: IMHO this protoshield does not perform as advertized unless an oscillator and capacitors and 10k pullup are added to the protoshied and unless of course Adafruit has an explanation for this most unusual behaviour.

Any comments and or successes with this protoshield appreciated

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

you absolutely should not need an oscillator if you use the Arduino ISP sketch we provide for use with the Standalone AVR programmer shield Kit instructions

paulc1

Post by paulc1 »

You are right and I apologize for my confusion about which bootloader sketch to use and wish the tutorial had emphasized the importance of using the Github sketch vs the arduino sketch in the IDE.

The Github sketch worked fine without oscillator or 10k pullup resistor nor the need to rename the slave chip as 2009. With the original board with an UNO chip, the slave bootloads as UNO even when originaly it was a 2009 .

For those who do not have a protoshield, my work confirms a UNO chip could be bootloaded as a 2009 using the Arduino generic Arduino as ISP with an oscillator and pull up resistor.

Thanks for the clarification.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”