Motor shield with M35SP-7N

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
twizted

Motor shield with M35SP-7N

Post by twizted »

OK, so I got my motor shield in today and got it assembled (great documentation btw!)

I had also ordered the 12v 200 step stepper so I knew I had a reliable and proven motor to test with.
When I hooked it up, it worked as expected...

But the issue I've ran into is I have a stepper (Mitsumi M35SP-7N) that I scavenged from a scanner that has a gear set on a bracket which I REALLY want to use for a small project. The sticker on the stepper has a 50ohm marking so I'm assuming it is the 24v model (I don't have the scanner anymore to know if it used a 7.5v or 24v psu).

Anyway, I've pretty much determined that it is a 5 wire unipolar stepper but, I am completely lost on how to connect it to the motor shield and I've not been able to find any clear information.

I've never messed with steppers and this is all new ground for me...
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Motor shield with M35SP-7N

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

There are several links with good information here: http://www.ladyada.net/make/mshield/resources.html
If you follow the reverse-engineering procedure in the last link: http://www.jasonbabcock.com/computing/b ... index.html
You should end up with something similar - except that the two center taps will be tied together (5 wire vs. 6 wire)
Once you have identified the center tap, connect that to ground, then connect the other 4 wires to the other 4 terminals. If it doesn't work, swap a pair of wires and try again.

twizted

Post by twizted »

Thank you for the reply...

I was close then, I was just kinda scared to hook it up for fear of smoking my new shield... :)
Good thing I asked because I was thinking the center would go to V+. Now that I've thought about it, read your post and links (thank you :) )... and most important, slept! (I was really tired when I was tinkering last night) , its all starting to make a lot more sense.

Thanks!

twizted

Post by twizted »

So from what I am reading it is recommended to use a darlington array to drive this type of stepper but the motor shield uses half-H bridge drivers... I'm guessing this is not going to work with this motor?

twizted

Post by twizted »

Turns out I was wrong...

I got it working by pure luck... I managed to get it working and I will post a video a bit later. Unfortunately its probably not going to work for what I wanted :(
Part of what I am working on is a way to open/close my curtains and I thought this would work but it just does not seem to have the torque required.

Back to the drawing board...

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

You could go with a geared stepper for increased torque, but a geared DC motor will typically give you more speed & torque for the same power input.

twizted

Post by twizted »

Ok, I shot a quick video showing it working and such... first time really messing around with video editing so you will have to overlook the cheesy opening and closing but anyway....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVDkNcVJBv4

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”