'mask' was not declared in this scope

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
davidwhiteman

'mask' was not declared in this scope

Post by davidwhiteman »

I am following the tutorial for the GPS data logger and am on the page http://www.ladyada.net/make/gpsshield/gpstest.html where I have downloaded the NewSoftSerial library to the libraries folder and have downloaded the GPStest_RMC sketch to a folder in the same directory in which the libraries folder is kept . When I try to verify the sketch or upload it to the Arduino I get a message that it has encountered errors in compiling, as follows:

/Users/dave/Documents/Arduino/libraries/NewSoftSerial/NewSoftSerial.cpp:39:24: error: WConstants.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /Users/dave/Documents/Arduino/libraries/NewSoftSerial/NewSoftSerial.cpp:41:
/Users/dave/Documents/Arduino/libraries/NewSoftSerial/NewSoftSerial.h:71: error: conflicting return type specified for 'virtual void NewSoftSerial::write(uint8_t)'
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/Print.h:48: error: overriding 'virtual size_t Print::write(uint8_t)'
/Users/dave/Documents/Arduino/libraries/NewSoftSerial/NewSoftSerial.cpp: In member function 'void NewSoftSerial::tx_pin_write(uint8_t)':
/Users/dave/Documents/Arduino/libraries/NewSoftSerial/NewSoftSerial.cpp:291: error: 'LOW' was not declared in this scope
/Users/dave/Documents/Arduino/libraries/NewSoftSerial/NewSoftSerial.cpp: In member function 'void NewSoftSerial::setTX(uint8_t)':
/Users/dave/Documents/Arduino/libraries/NewSoftSerial/NewSoftSerial.cpp:368: error: 'OUTPUT' was not declared in this scope
/Users/dave/Documents/Arduino/libraries/NewSoftSerial/NewSoftSerial.cpp:368: error: 'pinMode' was not declared in this scope
/Users/dave/Documents/Arduino/libraries/NewSoftSerial/NewSoftSerial.cpp:369: error: 'HIGH' was not declared in this scope
/Users/dave/Documents/Arduino/libraries/NewSoftSerial/NewSoftSerial.cpp:369: error: 'digitalWrite' was not declared in this scope
/Users/dave/Documents/Arduino/libraries/NewSoftSerial/NewSoftSerial.cpp:370: error: 'digitalPinToBitMask' was not declared in this scope
/Users/dave/Documents/Arduino/libraries/NewSoftSerial/NewSoftSerial.cpp:371: error: 'digitalPinToPort' was not declared in this scope
/Users/dave/Documents/Arduino/libraries/NewSoftSerial/NewSoftSerial.cpp:372: error: 'portOutputRegister' was not declared in this scope
/Users/dave/Documents/Arduino/libraries/NewSoftSerial/NewSoftSerial.cpp: In member function 'void NewSoftSerial::setRX(uint8_t)':
/Users/dave/Documents/Arduino/libraries/NewSoftSerial/NewSoftSerial.cpp:377: error: 'INPUT' was not declared in this scope
/Users/dave/Documents/Arduino/libraries/NewSoftSerial/NewSoftSerial.cpp:377: error: 'pinMode' was not declared in this scope
/Users/dave/Documents/Arduino/libraries/NewSoftSerial/NewSoftSerial.cpp:379: error: 'HIGH' was not declared in this scope
/Users/dave/Documents/Arduino/libraries/NewSoftSerial/NewSoftSerial.cpp:379: error: 'digitalWrite' was not declared in this scope
/Users/dave/Documents/Arduino/libraries/NewSoftSerial/NewSoftSerial.cpp:381: error: 'digitalPinToBitMask' was not declared in this scope
/Users/dave/Documents/Arduino/libraries/NewSoftSerial/NewSoftSerial.cpp:382: error: 'digitalPinToPort' was not declared in this scope
/Users/dave/Documents/Arduino/libraries/NewSoftSerial/NewSoftSerial.cpp:383: error: 'portInputRegister' was not declared in this scope
/Users/dave/Documents/Arduino/libraries/NewSoftSerial/NewSoftSerial.cpp: In member function 'virtual void NewSoftSerial::write(uint8_t)':
/Users/dave/Documents/Arduino/libraries/NewSoftSerial/NewSoftSerial.cpp:472: error: 'HIGH' was not declared in this scope
/Users/dave/Documents/Arduino/libraries/NewSoftSerial/NewSoftSerial.cpp:472: error: 'LOW' was not declared in this scope
/Users/dave/Documents/Arduino/libraries/NewSoftSerial/NewSoftSerial.cpp:478: error: 'byte' was not declared in this scope
/Users/dave/Documents/Arduino/libraries/NewSoftSerial/NewSoftSerial.cpp:478: error: expected `;' before 'mask'
/Users/dave/Documents/Arduino/libraries/NewSoftSerial/NewSoftSerial.cpp:478: error: 'mask' was not declared in this scope
/Users/dave/Documents/Arduino/libraries/NewSoftSerial/NewSoftSerial.cpp:492: error: 'byte' was not declared in this scope
/Users/dave/Documents/Arduino/libraries/NewSoftSerial/NewSoftSerial.cpp:492: error: expected `;' before 'mask'
/Users/dave/Documents/Arduino/libraries/NewSoftSerial/NewSoftSerial.cpp:492: error: 'mask' was not declared in this scope

Do I have some problem with the NewSoftSerial library?

-Dave

adafruit_support_bill

Re: 'mask' was not declared in this scope

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

What operating system are you using?
And what version of the IDE?

davidwhiteman

Post by davidwhiteman »

MacOS 10.7.2 and Arduino 1.0

adafruit_support_bill

Make sure you have the latest versions of all the libraries. There were some changes in IDE 1.0 that affected most libraries.
Also make sure that the capitalization in your #includes matches the actual file name. I believe the MacOS file system is case-sensitive.

davidwhiteman

Post by davidwhiteman »

Thanks for the advice. I downloaded the latest versions of the software, as follows:

From http://arduiniana.org/libraries/newsoftserial/
downloaded
NewSoftSerial10c.zip
and uploaded the files to my libraries folder

http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
downloaded fresh version of Arduino 1.0 from the MacOSX link.

I still get the same errors when following the tutorial to upload GPStest_RMC to the Arduino board. The first error message seems to be saying that the include file WConstants.h cannot be found where referenced from NewSoftSerial.cpp (or GPStest_RMC).

I would like to follow your second suggestion to see if there are any #include file name capitalization issues between the lines of code in GPStest_RMC or NewSoftSerial and the .h files, but I am a newbie and do not know where those .h files are located. I suppose that they must be installed somewhere in the Mac operating system when Arduino 1.0 is installed. How can I find them?

-Dave

adafruit_support_bill

The NewSoftSerial library was incorporated into the 1.0 release of the IDE. The documentation is here: http://arduino.cc/hu/Reference/SoftwareSerial

Change your #include of NewSoftSerial to

Code: Select all

#include <SoftwareSerial.h>.

davidwhiteman

Post by davidwhiteman »

Thanks for the advice. I found that I could get the GPStest_RMC sketch to compile if I omitted the two if-then-else loops at the beginning of the program that checked to see if the sketchbook was version 1.0 or greater and replaced them with the following code:

#include "Arduino.h"
#include "SoftwareSerial.h"
SoftwareSerial mySerial = SoftwareSerial(2, 3);

Somehow the if-then-else loops did not test properly to find that I was using Arduino 1.0 and consequently it invoked the #include WProgram.h and the #include NewSoftSerial.h. It wasn't able to compile with these include statements. The problem didn't seem to be a capitalization problem with the test variable in the loop, as the loop failed when I used ARDUINO, arduino, and Arduino. I am using MacOS 10.7.2, R2 of the Arduino board and v 1.0 of the sketchbook.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”