Wave Shield: Card Init Failure

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jarruda

Wave Shield: Card Init Failure

Post by jarruda »

Tried putting together my wave shield today and I believe I have made a mistake.

Well, that's wrong, I know that I made a mistake, but I'm not positive if it's the cause of my problem.

When attempting to try the example sketch, I get error code 1, errorData FF. Trying the CardInfo example (with chipSelect set to 10) produces a failure with no useful information as well.

In my soldering, I got ahead of the instructions and attempted to solder the 3 closely spaced pads of the SD card holder on the right. I managed one of them successfully, but ended up bridging the last two. I don't have any solder wick handy, and the my solder sucker just can't get in there, so I have been unable to test if this is the reason that the shield won't work.

The instructions state that the last 3 pins aren't used, but that of course doesn't mean that bridging them will have no effect. So my question is: would this affect the operation of the shield?

Here are pictures of my soldering if anyone notices any fatal flaws:
IMG_1538.JPG
IMG_1538.JPG (209.65 KiB) Viewed 490 times
IMG_1539.JPG
IMG_1539.JPG (222.6 KiB) Viewed 490 times
IMG_1540.JPG
IMG_1540.JPG (213.63 KiB) Viewed 490 times

adafruit

Re: Wave Shield: Card Init Failure

Post by adafruit »

you skipped the last step of the instructions, where you solder in wire jumpers

jarruda

Re: Wave Shield: Card Init Failure

Post by jarruda »

Oops. Facepalm.

Had the instructions still up in another tab, and sure enough I'm still getting the hang of OSX Lion's new scrollbar-less situation.

Thanks for the quick reply :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”