Standalone AVR ISP Programmer Shield Kit

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
denniscj7

Standalone AVR ISP Programmer Shield Kit

Post by denniscj7 »

Just received this with protoshield v5. The pictures and build instructions for this and their reference to the protoshield do not match. My parts have one switch, not two. It also has a 1/2" round black device with two wires. I popped the cover off and it looks like a speaker to me. Also, when the zif socket is soldered into the protoshield, pin 1 does not appear to be connected to any adjoining holes. Please, this needs some clarity.

adafruit

Re: Standalone AVR ISP Programmer Shield Kit

Post by adafruit »

the speaker is the piezo. the images should be identical to what you have here:

http://ladyada.net/library/tools/standaloneisp.html

is that the tutorial you are following?

denniscj7

Post by denniscj7 »

No, it isn't. I started at this page https://www.adafruit.com/products/462 which leads me to this http://www.ladyada.net/library/arduino/arduinoisp.html which is not for what I have. I believe a few links need to be updated.

Thanks

denniscj7

Post by denniscj7 »

One other thing. I mentioned that pin 1 of the zif socket is not connected to a breakout. I see in the picture of the back side of the board in your link, that there is a jumper solder from pin 1 to the 2nd hole over. I did not see reference to this in the build instructions.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

There links to two versions of the project on that page. There are enough parts in the Standalone AVR ISP Programmer Shield Kit to build either project. Only a subset of the standard ProtoShield kit is required.

Arduino ISP: http://www.ladyada.net/library/arduino/arduinoisp.html
Standalone ISP: http://ladyada.net/library/tools/standaloneisp.html

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

there is a jumper solder from pin 1 to the 2nd hole over. I did not see reference to this in the build instructions.
That would be the part that says:
Solder the following wires to the ZIF socket

Pin 1 to digital 10 - Blue
Using the wire or component lead to bridge between holes on a proto-board is a standard build technique.

denniscj7

Post by denniscj7 »

In the link that you provided, that text IS NOT present. Now fix it.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

denniscj7 wrote:In the link that you provided, that text IS NOT present. Now fix it.
sorry - we dont understand what specific link you are referring to? we'll promptly fix any mistake :) we have a "be excellent to each other" tone we like to keep here :) we'll assist you immediately - just be fair with us, we're people too, a few robots (and a cat).

thanks,
adafruit support

denniscj7

Post by denniscj7 »

I'm referring to the link in the second post in this string - the first response to my original post that started this thread. Sorry about the tone, frustrated.

If you would like for me to move the following to another place, please point me.

Now that I have this built, I've encountered another problem. I put the adaLoader code and the other 4 components per
Next, download the codebase from github. Make a sketch floader called adaLoader in your Arduino sketch collection and copy the pde and helper files in. Restart the IDE and open up that sketch, compile it and upload it to your Arudino.
in a folder and am trying to compile it. I get the following and need help

Code: Select all

adaLoader\code.cpp.o: In function `flashWord':
G:\Arduino\arduino-0022\libraries\adaLoader/code.cpp:273: multiple definition of `flashWord(unsigned char, unsigned int, unsigned char)'
code.cpp.o:C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Local\Temp\build5526610829938862992.tmp/code.cpp:273: first defined here
adaLoader\code.cpp.o: In function `SPIClass::transfer(unsigned char)':
G:\Arduino\arduino-0022\libraries\SPI/SPI.h:56: multiple definition of `busyWait()'
code.cpp.o:G:\Arduino\arduino-0022\libraries\SPI/SPI.h:56: first defined here
adaLoader\code.cpp.o: In function `SPIClass::transfer(unsigned char)':
G:\Arduino\arduino-0022\libraries\SPI/SPI.h:56: multiple definition of `spi_transaction(unsigned char, unsigned char, unsigned char, unsigned char)'
code.cpp.o:G:\Arduino\arduino-0022\libraries\SPI/SPI.h:56: first defined here
adaLoader\code.cpp.o: In function `eraseChip()':
G:\Arduino\arduino-0022\libraries\adaLoader/code.cpp:405: multiple definition of `eraseChip()'
code.cpp.o:C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Local\Temp\build5526610829938862992.tmp/code.cpp:405: first defined here
adaLoader\code.cpp.o: In function `readImagePage(unsigned char*, unsigned int, unsigned char, unsigned char*)':
G:\Arduino\arduino-0022\libraries\adaLoader/code.cpp:165: multiple definition of `readImagePage(unsigned char*, unsigned int, unsigned char, unsigned char*)'
code.cpp.o:C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Local\Temp\build5526610829938862992.tmp/code.cpp:165: first defined here
adaLoader\code.cpp.o: In function `verifyImage(unsigned char*)':
G:\Arduino\arduino-0022\libraries\adaLoader/code.cpp:312: multiple definition of `verifyImage(unsigned char*)'
code.cpp.o:C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Local\Temp\build5526610829938862992.tmp/code.cpp:312: first defined here
adaLoader\code.cpp.o: In function `flashPage(unsigned char*, unsigned int, unsigned char)':
G:\Arduino\arduino-0022\libraries\adaLoader/code.cpp:278: multiple definition of `flashPage(unsigned char*, unsigned int, unsigned char)'
code.cpp.o:C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Local\Temp\build5526610829938862992.tmp/code.cpp:278: first defined here
adaLoader\code.cpp.o: In function `readSignature()':
G:\Arduino\arduino-0022\libraries\adaLoader/code.cpp:19: multiple definition of `readSignature()'
code.cpp.o:C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Local\Temp\build5526610829938862992.tmp/code.cpp:19: first defined here
adaLoader\code.cpp.o: In function `verifyFuses(unsigned char const*, unsigned char const*)':
G:\Arduino\arduino-0022\libraries\adaLoader/code.cpp:115: multiple definition of `verifyFuses(unsigned char const*, unsigned char const*)'
code.cpp.o:C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Local\Temp\build5526610829938862992.tmp/code.cpp:115: first defined here
adaLoader\code.cpp.o: In function `programFuses(unsigned char const*)':
G:\Arduino\arduino-0022\libraries\adaLoader/code.cpp:72: multiple definition of `programFuses(unsigned char const*)'
code.cpp.o:C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Local\Temp\build5526610829938862992.tmp/code.cpp:72: first defined here
adaLoader\code.cpp.o: In function `findImage(unsigned int)':
G:\Arduino\arduino-0022\libraries\adaLoader/code.cpp:46: multiple definition of `findImage(unsigned int)'
code.cpp.o:C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Local\Temp\build5526610829938862992.tmp/code.cpp:46: first defined here
adaLoader\images.cpp.o:(.progmem.data+0x0): multiple definition of `image_328'
images.cpp.o:(.progmem.data+0x0): first defined here
adaLoader\images.cpp.o:(.data.images+0x0): multiple definition of `images'
images.cpp.o:(.data.images+0x0): first defined here
adaLoader\images.cpp.o:(.data.NUMIMAGES+0x0): multiple definition of `NUMIMAGES'
images.cpp.o:(.data.NUMIMAGES+0x0): first defined here
adaLoader\support.cpp.o: In function `pulse(int, int)':
G:\Arduino\arduino-0022\libraries\adaLoader/support.cpp:37: multiple definition of `pulse(int, int)'
support.cpp.o:C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Local\Temp\build5526610829938862992.tmp/support.cpp:37: first defined here
adaLoader\support.cpp.o: In function `hexton(unsigned char)':
G:\Arduino\arduino-0022\libraries\adaLoader/support.cpp:25: multiple definition of `hexton(unsigned char)'
support.cpp.o:C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Local\Temp\build5526610829938862992.tmp/support.cpp:25: first defined here
adaLoader\support.cpp.o: In function `flashprint(char const*)':
G:\Arduino\arduino-0022\libraries\adaLoader/support.cpp:11: multiple definition of `flashprint(char const*)'
support.cpp.o:C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Local\Temp\build5526610829938862992.tmp/support.cpp:11: first defined here

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

hi, we followed the second link

http://ladyada.net/library/tools/standaloneisp.html

and right next to the photo of the ZIF socket is this text is present:
Solder the following wires to the ZIF socket

Pin 7 to 5V - Red
Pin 8 to Ground - Black
Pin 9 to digital 9 - Gray
Pin 17 to digital 11 - Brown
Pin 18 to digital 12 - Orange
Pin 19 to digital 13 - Yellow
Pin 20 to +5V - Red
Pin 22 to Ground - Black
can you help us understand what you were referring to when you said "this text IS NOT present"?

as to your code problems, you placed it in the libraries folder, move it out to the sketch folder:
Next, download the codebase from github. Make a sketch floader called adaLoader in your Arduino sketch collection and copy the pde and helper files in. Restart the IDE and open up that sketch, compile it and upload it to your Arudino.
it should not be in the libraries folder

denniscj7

Post by denniscj7 »

From the post in this string - by adafruit_support » 12 Feb 2012 13:30 - is the following line of text -
Using the wire or component lead to bridge between holes on a proto-board is a standard build technique.
The only place I see this text is in the referenced post. If it's not clearly adjacent to the
people are potentially going to have bad results. I am an electrical engineer, it was clear to me right away, but this may not be the case with others.

Thanks for the help with the code, I'll go try it out right now.

denniscj7

Post by denniscj7 »

No luck with loading the code to an UNO R2. I moved the code as you suggested and then it compiled clean. Upload fails with
avrdude: stk500_paged_write(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x64
avrdude: failed to write flash memory, rc=-4
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51
After reading the forums, it appears to be a code size issue. I tried to upload to a mega2560 and it was clean, no problems. When I apply power to the mega with the protoshield plugged in, the green led flashes several times and then the red on a few times and nothing from the speaker. This is without me pressing the button switch. Pressing the button after this does nothing, no lights or sound. Is it possible to use a mega for this whole bootloader burning process? If not, then I would appreciate a pointer as to how to proceed.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

ah, the optiboot bug. try redownloading the sketch anew, we tweaked it slightly so it should now work with the bug

denniscj7

Post by denniscj7 »

Thanks to your kind help, we're making progress. The sketch compiled and uploaded without a hitch. I then mounted protoshield on UNO and applied power. Green and red leds flashed a few times, then I pressed the button and the green led came on and the buzzer sounded almost immediately after I had pressed the button. There was no red light. I thought I read that this should take 20-30 seconds, if so, this took less than 2 sec. Now I try to load the simple blink sketch and get the following

Code: Select all

Binary sketch size: 1018 bytes (of a 30720 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51
I then took another chip through the same process with the same results. The two chips are identical.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

thanks for the feedback, this is really useful
the sketch loads our "Duemilanove"-compatible bootloader which does not have the same bugs as Optiboot. Use Duemilanove to upload

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”