GPS shield pins

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Silverslide

GPS shield pins

Post by Silverslide »

Hi all,

We have a project in which we have to log GPS data whenever a photo is taken. Also other data has to be added together with the GPS data. Now my question is, are there still pins which are not used so we can use for instance SPI or I2C to communicate with another arduino project from our collegues. This other project will provide the extra data that we have to add onto the SD card. So of course we will have to modify the program from the GPS shield but we will need free hardware to do the communication and to trigger the logging proces. Is the GPS shield a good choice to start from and add our own features into this project?

And is this at all possible? I do not really see what hardware (pins, SPI registers, etc) is being used up by the GPS shield. I could look it up but it would take a lot of time to find this and we have to order the hardware as soon as possible to get started.

Thanks a lot guys.
Silver
Last edited by Silverslide on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: GPS schield pins

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

There are plenty of pins available:
http://www.ladyada.net/media/gpsshield/gpschemv11.png

Silverslide

Re: GPS shield pins

Post by Silverslide »

Thx a lot. Ow ye I see the scheme uses the duemilanove. We are new to arduino but I am guessing this shield fits equally wel on the uno board? And we could design our own shield that we could plug on top of the GPS shield if we would want to? I think the GPS shield only uses 4 digital pins so we still have 10 remaining? Is this correct?

We just need to make sure this is what we need and order it as soon as possible since delivery for europe will take some time and we only have 1 semester. Thats why I cant do the necessary research needed. But if we are sure it can work then implementation can be looked up when the shield is being shipped.
Last edited by Silverslide on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: GPS schield pins

I am guessing this schield fits equally wel on the uno board?
The pin configuration of the UNO is compatible with all earlier Arduinos.
And we could design our own schield that we could plug on top of the GPS schield if we would want to?
Yes. You will want to build the shield using a set of stacking headers instead of the ones supplied in the kit.
I think the GPS schield only uses 4 digital pins so we still have 10 remaining? Is this correct?
The 4 hardwired pins are for the SPI connection to the SD card for logging. You will also need 2 more for the serial connection to the GPS module.

Other optional connections on the shield include 1 pin for controlling power to the module (for low-power applications) and pins to control the 2 LEDs if desired. Any pins can be used for these connections. These are selected via jumpers.

You also have the 6 analog pins available which may be used as digital pins too.

I2C devices will use analog pins 4 & 5. Additional SPI devices may be connected to the SPI bus by allocating another '"CCS" pin for each one.

Silverslide

Post by Silverslide »

Thx, you guys are great! I will keep you posted on how things turn out.
Last edited by Silverslide on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Silverslide

Post by Silverslide »

Is there any place in Europe where we can order this schield? Or is it only distributed by adafruit?

adafruit_support_bill

There are several distributers in Europe. Click on the "DIstributers" tab on the product page for a list:
http://www.adafruit.com/products/98

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”