Wave shield sound not playing - potentiometer

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
virtualbrooklyn

Wave shield sound not playing - potentiometer

Post by virtualbrooklyn »

I had my Wave Shield working with the Arduino Uno, then when I solder the speakers (I had just plugged them in without soldering) the sound stopped playing. I know there must be a short somewhere but don't know how to start troubleshooting. What should I read with a multi-meter for example.

When I connect to the Arduino client, I can see that the wave file is playing but the speaker doesn't produce any sounds. If I touch the potentiometer I hear a crackling noise but not the file I copied.

I am attaching the photos of the shield. I have a motion detector installed also on 5v, ground and pin 6.

Thanks for the help.
Wave1.JPG
Wave1.JPG (506.78 KiB) Viewed 641 times
Wave2.JPG
Wave2.JPG (540.02 KiB) Viewed 641 times

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Wave shield sound not playing - potentiometer

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I had my Wave Shield working with the Arduino Uno, then when I solder the speakers (I had just plugged them in without soldering) the sound stopped playing.
You are using the same speaker as before?

I don't see anything that looks like a short in the speaker part of the circuit. I think it is more likely an intermittent connection somewhere else. Check your solder joints carefully and re-touch any that are not smooth and shiny - or have not flowed well onto both the pin and the pad.

virtualbrooklyn

Post by virtualbrooklyn »

Thank you. I got it to work. Where can I purchase the speaker only? There's a short with it. I haven't been able to find it on your site.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

If the speaker in your kit was defective, contact [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”