WaveShield Hiss

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
RobinLee975

WaveShield Hiss

Post by RobinLee975 »

I put together my first shield and it appears to be working (sorta). I have figured out the whole SD card thing and have managed the whole library thing so I can upload sketches to my arduino (UNO) with no errors. When I load the unmodified PiSpeakHC.pde and run it instead of the numbers I get a series of short hiss sounds (all the same). Does that sound like a hardware problem or a software one?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: WaveShield Hiss

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Most likely a hardware problem. Post photos of the front & back of the shield and we'll have a look for any assembly issues.

RobinLee975

Post by RobinLee975 »

Shield Back
Shield Back
Back.jpg (556.84 KiB) Viewed 797 times
Shield Front
Shield Front
Front.jpg (580.69 KiB) Viewed 797 times

adafruit_support_bill

Your DAC (IC2) is installed backwards. You must align the notched end with the one on the silkscreen.

RobinLee975

Post by RobinLee975 »

Ugh. I knew you were going to say that! Thanks for pointing out what I did wrong.
Last edited by RobinLee975 on Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobinLee975

Post by RobinLee975 »

adafruit_support wrote:Your DAC (IC2) is installed backwards. You must align the notched end with the one on the silkscreen.
Otherwise a fairly decent job huh? I have just learned that unsoldering is really difficult. I shall be ordering another shield post haste! Thanks for the help. At least I learned something today, and that's the point isn't it?

adafruit_support_bill

Yes, unsoldering is a pain - especially for multi-pin devices. There are some tools that make it somewhat less painful such as solder wick and the solder sucker.

When things start to look especially ugly, I'll usually just just sacrifice the device by cutting off all the legs then unsolder them one-by-one. :(

RobinLee975

Post by RobinLee975 »

Such a bummer. 160+ solder points served as great OJT. Look forward to my second try! I'm building the RFID bear from Make so I must try again. Thanks for such solid support adafruit!

RobinLee975

Post by RobinLee975 »

I just got the replacement waveshield, followed the instructions completely this time, and it works perfectly. Don't I get some sort of badge for this? Very cool. Thanks for the very helpful forum support, and wonderful on-line instructions. Next challenge. . . hooking up the rfid antenna.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”