Can't Re-Write to my RFID tag?

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ollienx

Can't Re-Write to my RFID tag?

Post by ollienx »

Hey guys,

I just bought the RFID shield, and then when I tried to my tag, I accidentally wrote adafruit.com to it. I thought, no big deal, I'll just reformat it. However, now it only redirects to adafruit.com even if I change the code. Any ideas?

ktownsend

Re: Can't Re-Write to my RFID tag?

Post by ktownsend »

There is an NXP app for NFC that should allow you to manipulate tags, though I don't have my phone right here in front of me to find it. Just search for NXP in the app store, they don't have 50 apps.

ga_gpa

Post by ga_gpa »

Hi,

I recently bought the arduino shield, I used the mifareclassic_formatndef example sketch. I wrote the sample adafruit.com url, and tried to re-write to an email. I have had no success, I have commented out the adafurit and un-commented the "mailto" statement.
Still no luck. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong.

ktownsend

Post by ktownsend »

The problem here is the authentication keys in the format example.

Format starts with a blank Mifare Classic card, with the authentication key set to 0xFF 0xFF 0xFF 0xFF 0xFF 0xFF.

NDEF formatted tags use a different authentication key, which is written to the sector during the format process.

So ... when you try to rewrite to the same sector the sample format code uses the old authentication key which won't work.

I just added a new example that should allow you to update records on previously formatted card: mifareclassic_updatendef

Be sure to only use the next example on cards that have already been formatted via mifareclassic_formatednef or you will have similar authentication key issues.

You'll need to get the latest code from github, but you can see the source here if you are curious: https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_NF ... updatendef

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”