Overheat in the servo pins (Motor Shield v1.1)

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
M1ke_89

Overheat in the servo pins (Motor Shield v1.1)

Post by M1ke_89 »

Hi everyone!

I recently bought a Motor Shield v1.1 and after soldering all the components, put on the motor shield on the arduino (R3), and note that the pins of the servos are heating up. The temperature is not one that can burn the hand, but i don't think that this is a normal considering that i don't have any motor connected.

After this, i had revise some tutorials and images from the motor shield v1.1 and everthing compomponent is correct. Therefore ¿this is normal or not?

Thanks.

adafruit

Re: Overheat in the servo pins (Motor Shield v1.1)

Post by adafruit »

Can you post up a clear photo - both sides? we'll see if anything looks wrong.

M1ke_89

Post by M1ke_89 »

adafruit wrote:Can you post up a clear photo - both sides? we'll see if anything looks wrong.
Here are 2 images. The quality is not very good.

Code: Select all

http://s3.subirimagenes.com:81/fotos/8129199foto0036.jpg
http://s2.subirimagenes.com/fotos/8129151foto0041.jpg

(Sorry for the remains of solder paste)

Sure to mention that with a multimeter probe close connections to make sure there is no contact.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

are you sure the pins themselves are hot? not a chip?

M1ke_89

Post by M1ke_89 »

adafruit wrote:are you sure the pins themselves are hot? not a chip?
Completely. The remains of solder paste in the pins begins to melt when connect the arduino to usb. Ah, i forgot to mention that this happens even if retirement the jumper power.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The photos are not so clear, but I don't see any obvious shorts. What is the blue wire near the power header in the solder-side photo?

M1ke_89

Post by M1ke_89 »

adafruit_support wrote:The photos are not so clear, but I don't see any obvious shorts. What is the blue wire near the power header in the solder-side photo?
If you refere to this part in the picture, that is the recipent of trash from my room. Is only the effect, i don't have any wire.

Code: Select all

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/9950/shieldz.jpg
This situation can be a failure of one of the circuits, especifical the 74595 considering that is CMOS?

adafruit_support_bill

This situation can be a failure of one of the circuits, especifical the 74595 considering that is CMOS?
Not as you describe the problem. The servo pins are not connected to either the 74595 or the L293D chips. Can you indicate precisely which pins are getting hot?

M1ke_89

Post by M1ke_89 »

adafruit_support wrote:
Not as you describe the problem. The servo pins are not connected to either the 74595 or the L293D chips. Can you indicate precisely which pins are getting hot?
Considering the way that the remains of solder paste is melt, i say that begining with the central pins(+). Othe thing i just noticed, is that when connecting the shield, the LED in the arduino and the led on the Shield start to blink and exist attenuations like a voltage drop.

adafruit_support_bill

It sounds like you have a short between the power(+) and ground pins. Using your multimeter, measure the resistance between the + pin and the ground pin.
Can you get a clearer photo of that corner of the board too?

M1ke_89

Post by M1ke_89 »

adafruit_support wrote:It sounds like you have a short between the power(+) and ground pins. Using your multimeter, measure the resistance between the + pin and the ground pin.
Can you get a clearer photo of that corner of the board too?
The resistence between the (+) and (-) in the servo pins is 1.5k, and in the 5v and ground of the shield is 9.5k initially and begins to increase.

adafruit_support_bill

The resistence between the (+) and (-) in the servo pins is 1.5k, and in the 5v and ground of the shield is 9.5k initially and begins to increase.
That sounds about right. It starts out low and increases as the capacitors charge up. If it were a short on the board, it would stay low.

Make sure that the bottom of the board is not contacting the metal housing of the USB connector on the Arduino. Use some tape if necessary to insulate it.

M1ke_89

Post by M1ke_89 »

adafruit_support wrote:
That sounds about right. It starts out low and increases as the capacitors charge up. If it were a short on the board, it would stay low.

Make sure that the bottom of the board is not contacting the metal housing of the USB connector on the Arduino. Use some tape if necessary to insulate it.
I put the tape on the usb and don't work.

UPDATE:

I retire the servo pins and now the blink of the led is gone.

Thanks for the support and time.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”