Motor Shield - Jumper Question

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
wgheller

Motor Shield - Jumper Question

Post by wgheller »

Just received the motor shield and installed on my Arduino Uno v3 board.
I pulled the jumper off the PWR pins as suggested in the FAQ http://www.ladyada.net/make/mshield/use.html.

When I power up the Arduino board using USB or the 9v Adapter - the shield is powered up as well. At this point, I have not supplied any external power via the EXT PWR connectors

When I run a sample sketch to control one of the motors, I see the voltage changing at the output connectors as a result of the code (I have not actually connected a motor yet). But I've still not connected any external power and the jumper on the motor shield is not in place.

Is that the expected behavior? I thought that the shield would not draw power for the motors from the Arduino when the motor shield's jumper was removed.

Assuming that the shield is functioning as it should, If I start supplying external power to the shield via the EXT PWR connector, do I risk damaging the shield or the board?

Thank you.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Motor Shield - Jumper Question

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

When there is no motor supply connected, it is normal for some current to 'leak' through the H-bridge from the 5v logic supply. Sometimes it is even enough to illuminate the green power LED. This is nothing to worry about.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”