how many temperature sensors can be used on Datalogging shield

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
grant77oksana

how many temperature sensors can be used on Datalogging shield

Post by grant77oksana »

I am wondering how many temperature sensors I could hook up to the Datalogging shield. I would like to hook up somewhere around 12 but I don't know a lot about this stuff yet and don't know what the limitations are. Also, I would like the information to be logged into a computer but I don't want to have a dedicated computer for this task. I am wondering if I can use the data logging shield to store the data and then use a ethernet shield, or something to be able to access the arduino and upload the data to a computer. Basically I don't want to have to remove the SD card and load it on my computer that way. I would like it to be able to be transferred wirelessly. Is this possible with this shield?

Thank you for the help.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: how many temperature sensors can be used on Datalogging shield

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Using the TMP36 analog sensors, you need one analog pin for each sensor. Since the logger shield uses 2 analog pins, you have only 4 left. Other options are: The easiest way to get the data back to your computer is via the USB serial connection. If you want wireless, you can use XBees: https://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main ... rch&q=xbee

You would need 2 XBee modules, an adapter kit for the Arduino and a USB adapter for your computer. These are compatible with the logger shield.

grant77oksana

Post by grant77oksana »

Thank you very much for the help. I am leaning towards the digital sensor option. As for the data logging. Is the data logger you offer https://www.adafruit.com/products/243 able to log data from these digital sensors? So if I don't go wireless how exactly would it work. Would I be able to have it log data for some time and then I would be able to hook my computer up to it and move all of the data onto my computer? I guess those Ethernet boards people are typically uploading the data to the internet rather than a computer. I wonder if that would be a good option. Thank you again for the help. I am obviously new to this. I have been looking at this stuff for some time trying to figure out which direction to go. I appreciate the assistance.

adafruit_support_bill

Is the data logger you offer https://www.adafruit.com/products/243 able to log data from these digital sensors?
The data logger can log pretty much any kind of data you want. The examples in the logging tutorials show how to log data from the analog temperature sensor, but you can log data from digital sensors also.
Would I be able to have it log data for some time and then I would be able to hook my computer up to it and move all of the data onto my computer?
You can do that. If you are new to this kind of stuff, I'd suggest starting simple and adding features one step at a time. Get each feature working before adding the next.

For example:
  • First read from the digital sensors.
    Then log the sensor data to the SD card.
    Add in USB/Serial streaming of the data back to your computer.
    Add in USB/Serial file download on command.
    Add XBee modules for wireless operation.

Excalibur

Post by Excalibur »

Hi adafruit_support,

When I read this thread, I felt compelled to immediately register on the forum just so I could say thanks!
adafruit_support, you have provided the most explicit, helpful information about my project. I'm so incredibly grateful.

Like grant77oksana, I'm also studying the how to of datalogging temp sensors. Ultimate plan is via wireless interface to a dedicated PC.
Due to high heat, three of my temperature probes would need to be provided by thermocouple. Others could be the Dallas as you suggest.
All temperature readings are required to be live on the PC as well as datalogged. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I wouldn't need to have an SD card in the slot to be able to stream data to the PC, view it live or datalog it? Is there any recommended program for this task?

Starting simple and adding features one step at a time is excellent advice. Thanks.

I'm compiling a shopping list based on the Mega plus the other items mentioned.
I'm well pleased, Thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

Hi Excalibur,
You are correct. There is no need for an SD card if you are streaming data to the PC. Many people use Processing for the PC side programming. The Processing environment is very similar to Arduino. But any programming environment that can talk to a serial port will work.

Good luck with your project!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”