Fried the SD card on my wave shield?

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
akk

Fried the SD card on my wave shield?

Post by akk »

I couldn't find a list of pins available to use with the wave shield (I have since found it -- it's in the FAQ, not in Technical Details or the other tabs on the product page) and unfortunately I decided pin 12 looked like a good candidate, and hooked it to a button wired to 5v.

Now I can't read anything from the SD card any more. I've tried with several different cards, and they all fail with:
Error: Card init. failed! SD I/O error: 1, 0.

In SdReader.h it looks like error 1 is "timeout error for command CMD0", which I'm guessing means something like "Can't talk to the reader at all".
Is there any hope for rescuing my wave shield? There's nothing that looks obviously burned or melted.

Thanks for any suggestions!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Fried the SD card on my wave shield?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I decided pin 12 looked like a good candidate, and hooked it to a button wired to 5v.
You have removed the button I trust.
5v on pin 12 shouldn't have harmed the card. There is a buffer between the pin and the card to shift the voltage to 3.3v.

On the other hand, if the Arduino is trying to use that as an output pin and you short circuited it with the switch, it could have overloaded it and left you with a 'dead' pin. To see if that is the case, write a simple sketch to blink an led on pin 12 and connect an led to it. If it doesn't work, you can probably repair it with a new Atmega328 chip. https://www.adafruit.com/products/123

akk

Post by akk »

If I run a blink sketch with an LED on pin 12, it works fine. (Works with 11 and 13, too.) So the problem with the wave shield's SD card isn't a problem with the chip's pin 12.

Is there anything other way I could test the wave shield's SD card reader?

akk

Post by akk »

One other thing: it doesn't fail 100% of the time. Every now and then, if I run the daphc example, instead of failing to read the SD directory withSD I/O error: 1, 0, it will succeed, find the first file, and play a few seconds of that file, before dying with SD I/O error: 3, 0.

adafruit_support_bill

It could be a timing incompatibility with the card. Try it with a different card. It could also be an intermittent solder connection. If you post photos of the front & back of the board we will take a look.

akk

Post by akk »

I've tried three different SD cards, with the same error code.

adafruit_support_bill

That looks like an older card. It might work better if you slow things down as described here: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=27265&p=139922

akk

Post by akk »

Thanks -- just tried it. The advice in that thread doesn't work because symbols like ONE_SIXTEENTH_SPEED and SPI_QUARTER_SPEED aren't defined in the WaveHC library. But I tried editing SdReader.h and changing these two lines:
#define SPI_INIT_SLOW 1
#define SPI_DEFAULT_HALF_SPEED true
(were 0 and false).

When I run daphc with those settings, it actually can initialize and read something from the SD card. But it can't play anything -- no sound comes out the headphone jack, regardless of how I adjust the volume.

This was all working (with this SD card, with audible sound, without needing any speed adjustments or other code changes) before my little fiasco with the pins. And as I mentioned, I've tried other SD cards, much newer than this one (bought within the past year) with the same results.

The problem might not even be related to pin 12. I'm wondering if something else got shorted somewhere along the line when I was probing with test clips to try various pins. Any way to test if one of the two chips on the wave shield is dead or malfunctioning?

adafruit_support_bill

If you search the forum for the "Cheap Headphone" diagnostic, you can try to follow the audio signal from the DAC through the Op-Amp using a cheap headphone.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”