Motor Shield and Sensors
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Motor Shield and Sensors

by dehein2 on Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:49 am

Hello,

i'm pretty new to Arduino stuff and just bought the Motor Shield. I was wondering how to use the unused Pins for Sensors. I would like to connect some Sensors. Atm. i only want to use 2 DC Motors and nothing else with the Motor Shield.

So if i understand the manual correct, the following PIN's are unused:

- All 6 analog input pins are available.
- Digital pin 2, and 13 are not used.
- Digital pin 5: DC Motor #3 / Stepper #2 (activation/speed control)
- Digital pin 6: DC Motor #4 / Stepper #2 (activation/speed control)
- Digitals pin 9: Servo #1 control
- Digital pin 10: Servo #2 control

So i do have have 6 analog and 6 Digital Pins are available to me, correct?

So how do i use those Pins? I noticed, that all Arduino Pins are connected to the Motor Shield, and that next to the connecting Pin's there is another row of unused "holes" ;)
Is each of these holes connected to the corresponding Pin? So can i just use those holes to solder in some male headers and use them to connect Sensors?

I notices 2 more rows of holes, 6 holes each. Is it correct that one Row is connected to 5V and the other Row to GND?

THanks a lot Dennis
dehein2

Re: Motor Shield and Sensors

by allanonmage on Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:20 pm

Someone has done something similar to what you want to do, so this might be a push in the right direction:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Intro-a ... oull-need/
allanonmage

by daremick on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:11 pm

daremick

by adafruit_support_bill on Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:14 am

So how do i use those Pins? I noticed, that all Arduino Pins are connected to the Motor Shield, and that next to the connecting Pin's there is another row of unused "holes" ;)
Is each of these holes connected to the corresponding Pin? So can i just use those holes to solder in some male headers and use them to connect Sensors?

Yes. There are breakout holes next to the Arduino headers. You can solder you wires there directly, or solder in more headers if you like.
I notices 2 more rows of holes, 6 holes each. Is it correct that one Row is connected to 5V and the other Row to GND?

The triple row of breakouts next to the analog pins also supply +5v and GND for plug-in compatibility for many 3-wire sensors.
adafruit_support_bill

by dehein2 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:26 pm

thanks for the clarification
dehein2