Proto Shield PCB in Fritzing?

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jrp3

Proto Shield PCB in Fritzing?

Post by jrp3 »

Are there any plans to release a Fritzing part for the Proto Shield PCB (or the completed shield)? If not, it would be REALLY cool to have one. Normally, I would just sub in an existing part from the library that was close enough to serve as an analog, but the unique layout of the PCB (specifically re: the rail positions) makes it really challenging to substitute an alternate proto shield or breadboard.

Thanks!

adafruit

Re: Proto Shield PCB in Fritzing?

Post by adafruit »

we'll have one after we revise the protoshield (no ETA but we are working on it).

telemenar

Post by telemenar »

Any update for this?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Still no ETA. Lots of products in the queue.

technobly

Post by technobly »

Just looking for the same thing myself. +1 for me, no rush! ;-)

dendoracing

Post by dendoracing »

I have just finished developing a Fritzing part for this shield.

I'm actually quite impressed with this part (If I don't say so myself). Firstly, in the breadboard view, the part is on the same layer as the breadboard so you can put a mini breadboard on top of it just like in real life.

In the schematic view, only the connectors are shown so that you can design real circuit schematics without the protoshield part getting in the way.

In the PCB view, it is a bare Arduino shield so that you can design your own shield layout.

I've released this under the MIT licence, so enjoy. Let me know if you strike any problems.

[Update 27/2/14 - Replaced the attached file with a new version that fixes allignment problems in the schematic view]
Attachments
Adafruit Proto Shield for Arduino Kit - v.5.fzpz.zip
(25.72 KiB) Downloaded 1129 times
Last edited by dendoracing on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Great! Thanks for sharing that :D

technobly

Post by technobly »

DendoRacing wrote:I have just finished developing a Fritzing part for this shield.

I'm actually quite impressed with this part (If I don't say so myself).

[Update 27/2/14 - Replaced the attached file with a new version that fixes allignment problems in the schematic view]
You should be! Very nice job and thank you!

bbonfils

Post by bbonfils »

Hello!

Thanks for your contribution!

However, I can't have the whole shield specs available in the PCB designer, I only have the physical layout and two series of PIN. My idea is to use fritzing to help me routing my components on a v.5 protoshield, so the breadboard layout is not helping me. Is there a way to create the PCB from the breadboard design maybe? (note: i'm very new with fritzing)

thanks

dendoracing

Post by dendoracing »

Sorry for the late reply.

Fritzing is a tool for progressing from a breadboard circuit to a custom PCB board, which is why the the PCB board for the proto shield is essentially a blank canvas. Once you have developed your circuit on a breadboard, Fritzing allows you to document it and then help you design the custom PCB for it.

I understand what you are trying to do - use Fritzing's autorouting/placement to layout components on the breadboard - but Fritzing doesn't work that way. The Fritzing workflow is designed to go from breadboard to PCB, not the other way round.

MehdiRizvi

Post by MehdiRizvi »

thanks a lot. its perfect !!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”