The new Raspberry Pi B Model B+ is here - Pick one up in the store and check our detailed guide!

Permanent proto shield installation

by bkenobi69 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:32 am

I have a circuit that I've mocked up on a breadboard and am now ready to install it onto the proto shield. This is my first project to use this shield, so I was surprised to see that the shield does not use stackable headers like I thought so there is no open locations to solder to for by digital I/O pins (among others). What is the best practice for using the Adafruit Proto Shield v.5? The only options I see are a bit ugly.

1) Just plug jumpers into the header
2) Solder male header pins to each wire and plug that into the header
3) Solder to the bottom side of the female header or top side of the male header
4) Remove the female header

I think option 4 is the best, but that could potentially be difficult if the pins don't want to release. That could result in damaging the solder pads and surrounding traces. I presume this is a common issue, so I'm hoping it will be a graceful solution.
bkenobi69

Re: Permanent proto shield installation

by adafruit_support_bill on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:44 am

I usually wait to build up the protoshield until I know what circuit has to go on it. Then I just install the parts necessary for that circuit. The female headers almost always get 'installed' in my spare parts drawer. :wink:
adafruit_support_bill

by JD3 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:28 pm

First, whenever I buy a shield i also buy the Shield stacking headers.
http://www.adafruit.com/products/85

I use the shield stacking headers to attach the shield to the Arduino, saving the male pins for something else.

As for the female headers, I would only solder them on if my design needed them........
That little black caterpillar you just stepped on will set you back a few bucks....
JD3

by bkenobi69 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:31 pm

Good advice. I think I'll desolder the headers that are in the way and leave the rest. If the pads lift, i needed a new shield anyway I guess.
bkenobi69