First time touching Arduino and Wave Shield

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jordandau

First time touching Arduino and Wave Shield

Post by jordandau »

I'm very capable at soldering, have built some recording hardware from scratch myself, but I've just started in the world of arduino. I picked up the Diavolino and a wave shield for a project I'd like to do. I've never touched either before and I did get the hang of programming LED sequences with just the Diavolino just fine. The problem I'm having is getting the wave shield to do anything at all. I have zero programming experience, but I thought I could read and follow directions just fine. But there are (in my opinion) zero tutorials to get this thing going. I'm trying to research and get it done myself, but I seem to have hit a wall with my zero experience.
From what I gathered, I downloaded and placed the wave shield library into the appropriate section, I do see it on the sketch program under libraries. If I import the library (which I have no idea what that means or why I have to do that) it seems to paste a few lines of code, then what? I thought maybe that the example sketches would help, but I can't even get those to work. The code has errors all over the place. Which I know is my fault, I'm doing something wrong. My best guess was, import the library, which pastes like 4 lines of code, then I want to run the sketch, so I tried to copy/paste the play the file on the sd card example sketch and it's just full of errors. Nothing works. Can anyone point me to a tutorial that explains and runs through a start up? Once I see it done I can go through and learn what does what and edit and move things around, but going from nothing to anything that works is a bit frustrating.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: First time touching Arduino and Wave Shield

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

But there are (in my opinion) zero tutorials to get this thing going.
The tutorial for the wave shield is here: http://www.ladyada.net/make/waveshield/
For installing libraries, there is this tutorial: http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-all- ... nstall-use
I do see it on the sketch program under libraries. If I import the library (which I have no idea what that means or why I have to do that) it seems to paste a few lines of code, then what?
There is no need to import the library into an example sketch. If the library is installed correctly, the sketch will compile as is.

If you post some more specifics about which example you are trying to run and what errors you are encountering, we might be able to offer some more specific advice.

jordandau

Post by jordandau »

Awesome, just eliminating the import library seemed to let the sketch compile, no errors. I tried to upload it and got this error

Binary sketch size: 9,956 bytes (of a 30,720 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

I'm just trying to get it to play the file on the card in a loop for now. Eventually I'd like an LED sequence on power up that plays forever, then on a button push, I'd like the single file on the card to play once, with a different LED sequence and when it's done, to go back to the original led sequence.

BeerCannon

Post by BeerCannon »

Do you have anything connected to Digital pin D0 or D1?

Sometimes you have to disconnect things from those pins for the sketch to upload correctly. (And sometimes you don't..)

The Arduino uses those pins for transmit and receive somehow. When it happens to me, I pull my connections from those pins, upload, then re-connect. If you start the upload and then disconnect, it usually fails with a message, or it goes through the upload without error but still runs the previous sketch that was in the Arduino's memory.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
Make sure that you have the right board type selected in Tools->Board Type.
Also check that you have the correct COM port selected in Tools->Serial Port

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”