Troubleshoot Data Logger Shield SD Card Not Initialised

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
padraigmac

Troubleshoot Data Logger Shield SD Card Not Initialised

Post by padraigmac »

HI,

I purchased a self-assembly Data Logger Shield Kit a few months ago and have only gotten around to assembling it this week. The assembly went well, and the first trial for RTC was successful also. When I try CardInfo, the serial monitor is returning "SD Card Not Initialised". It does this whether there is an SD Card in there or not. I have tried two 4GB SD Cards, both source from Adafruit, and formatted both with SD Formatter V3.1, with no success.

I have continuity on the SD Card Holder pins I can test with multimeter, and the GND pins all match as they are supposed to.

I believe I assembled the board correctly - see video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlUvreFuPns

Has anyone got any ideas on where the problem can relate to?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Troubleshoot Data Logger Shield SD Card Not Initialised

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

It is a little hard to see in the video, but some of the SD card holder solder joints look suspect. Testing with a multimeter is not conclusive - since poking an intermittent connection with a probe typically makes it conductive. Re-work any that are not smooth and shiny or have not flowed well onto both the pin and the pad.

padraigmac

Re: Troubleshoot Data Logger Shield SD Card Not Initialised

Post by padraigmac »

Truly awesome support - you were correct in identifying the solder problem - I did not have enough on pin 7 - the connection looked good but no solder appeared to have flowed around connection - reflowed and the board is working well now.

Many thanks for your help.

Regards, Padraig

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”