Problems with Bluefruit EZ-link shield

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit_support_rick

Re: Problems with Bluefruit EZ-link shield

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Just heard from Phil. If you're a Mac user, here's the procedure for replacing the EZ-Link shield: please email [email protected] with a link to this post for a refund.

Then go to the product page and sign up for back-in-stock notification. When the new shields are ready, you'll get a notification email and you can go ahead and order a new one.

growlf

Post by growlf »

...And for us Raspbian and Ubuntu users - same thing?

adafruit_support_rick

Sure :D

Sam_123456

Post by Sam_123456 »

Just heard from Phil. If you're a Mac user, here's the procedure for replacing the EZ-Link shield: please email [email protected] with a link to this post for a refund.

Then go to the product page and sign up for back-in-stock notification. When the new shields are ready, you'll get a notification email and you can go ahead and order a new one.
Still no ETA on when the new ones are going to be in stock?

Would there be any drawbacks to me ordering V1.0 of the shield from one of your distributors if I don't need it to talk with a mac?

Apologies for the impatient post - I've got ants in my pants to start a project!

adafruit_support_rick

Sam_123456 wrote:Would there be any drawbacks to me ordering V1.0 of the shield from one of your distributors if I don't need it to talk with a mac?
Nope. The current version works fine with Windows.

Sam_123456

Post by Sam_123456 »

Thanks!

DBLAPM

Post by DBLAPM »

Hi!

I am completely new to the Arduino world, and I am a little bit lost now...
I also get "avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding" when I try to upload a sketch.
What are clearly the steps I have to take in order to make it work and in which case do I have to replace the shield ?
I am currently using a MacBook Pro but I could eventually use Windows. However, I am not sure which version of Windows I am going to be able to use...

Thanks!

adafruit_support_rick

So, you're trying to upload a sketch over bluetooth, using a Mac and the EZ-Link shield? That won't work. We will soon be releasing an updated EZ-Link shield which will allow bluetooth uploading from Macs.

Meanwhile, the EZ-Link shield you have will work for uploading sketches from Windows.

Zweben

Post by Zweben »

adafruit_support_rick wrote:So, you're trying to upload a sketch over bluetooth, using a Mac and the EZ-Link shield? That won't work. We will soon be releasing an updated EZ-Link shield which will allow bluetooth uploading from Macs.

Meanwhile, the EZ-Link shield you have will work for uploading sketches from Windows.
Please see edit at bottom.

I just bought an EZ-Link shield to use with my Mac, running 10.9.2, and I'm having the same problems as others in the thread, particularly Quaid. I have v1.1 of the shield, though; the product page advertised fixed Mac compatibility on the version I bought, so I'm guessing that's the soon-to-be-released version you referred to above.

The shield worked perfectly for uploading programs to the board the first couple times I tried to use it, but when I went back to it an hour or so later, it started giving me errors, and has been since. I've tried every applicable suggestion or patch in this thread, including restarting my computer, replacing the avrdude bin in the Package Contents, and trying with a fresh copy of Arduino 1.0.5.

It shows up as 'Connected' in the Bluetooth preferences when I bring the Serial Monitor up, but when I try to upload a program I get the following error:

Code: Select all

avrdude: Version 5.11, compiled on Sep  2 2011 at 18:52:52
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "/Users/David/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/Users/David/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port                    : /dev/cu.AdafruitEZ-Link17c5-SPP
         Using Programmer              : arduino
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 115200
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20] 
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

avrdude done.  Thank you.
It's given me at least a few different types of errors since it stopped working, but this is the one I'm getting every time now. What should I try next?

EDIT: I got it working again for a bit. I had been running the Arduino and EZ-Link shield off of a 9V battery. When I switched to AC power, it started working again. It worked with a fresh 9V battery too. I guess battery drain caused its voltage to drop enough to cause instability. All was well running off of AC, but then I tried to use the Bluefruit in conjunction with the Adafruit CC3000 Wi-Fi shield, and it went back to giving me the same errors as before, but on AC power this time. I unplugged the CC3000, and it's still giving the same errors.

I'm stumped. What else can I try?

EDIT 2: I got it working yet again. I don't know why it decided to stop working, but apparently the problem this time had nothing to do with the Bluefruit board, because it gave the same error plugged in over USB. Once I tried uploading with another fresh copy of the Arduino IDE, things worked again, both over USB and the Bluefruit.

adafruit_support_rick

Glad you figured it out.
We don't recommend using 9V batteries - they really can't supply enough current to support the Arduino and peripheral devices, especially RF devices like the Bluefruits and WiFi shields

Zweben

Post by Zweben »

adafruit_support_rick wrote:Glad you figured it out.
We don't recommend using 9V batteries - they really can't supply enough current to support the Arduino and peripheral devices, especially RF devices like the Bluefruits and WiFi shields
I see. What kind of batteries do you recommend for running an Arduino + RF peripherals (particularly rechargeable)? This, with NiMH AAs, or is there a more self-contained solution?

adafruit_support_rick

Yes, that's what we recommend. Alternatively, you can use a MintyBoost, or a dedicated USB phone charger:

https://www.adafruit.com/products/14

https://www.adafruit.com/products/1566

Zweben

Post by Zweben »

adafruit_support_rick wrote:Yes, that's what we recommend. Alternatively, you can use a MintyBoost, or a dedicated USB phone charger:

https://www.adafruit.com/products/14

https://www.adafruit.com/products/1566

Cool, I hadn't thought of using a regular phone charging pack. Thanks for your help.

flybozo

Post by flybozo »

I hadn't realized that there was a problem uploading through the EZ link using a Mac. Can I return my 2 EZ links and wait for the new version?

adafruit_support_rick

flybozo wrote:I hadn't realized that there was a problem uploading through the EZ link using a Mac. Can I return my 2 EZ links and wait for the new version?
When did you get your shields? The new version was released some time ago.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”