CC3000 Does not seem to initialize

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
growlf

Re: CC3000 Does not seem to initialize

Post by growlf »

Any updates on this? The unit does not appear to work.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

We're running out of things to debug without using expensive hardware, so let's try a new board.

Send a note to [email protected] with a link to this thread and they'll get you a replacement.

growlf

Post by growlf »

Ok. I have received the new board (Thank you!), soldered it together and loaded the test code. I get the exact same result. The solder joints are of the same quality as the first photos of the other board (and all boards that are currently working fine for me).

Should I use the git repo for the library, is the zip fine?

I know that I have loaded the library correctly because I removed it completely and ran the arduino IDE to make sure it was absent before re-installing it and then selecting 'buildtest' from the examples.

Is it possible that the arduino itself is the issue?

adafruit_support_mike

The zipfile of the Git repo will work, but you'll need to modify the folder names slightly. Github insists on adding '-master' to every repo download, and the Arduino IDE refuses to accept any filename that contains a dash. The names of the files themselves are okay, you just have to rename the folder before putting it in your sketchbook/libraries directory.

I suppose it's theoretically possible that the Arduino would be the problem, but it would have to be something like a dead IO pin. I'm more inclined to think it's something about the wifi network, simply because it's a bigger target. It's a complex system where lots of pieces that all have to work at the same time.

What kind of wireless router do you have (if we haven't already covered that)?

growlf

Post by growlf »

Hmm. Ok. I tend to agree about the Arduino as well - since it seems to work with my other shields fine. I am just getting frustrated and looking for the "unusual suspects" at this point.

The router is covered above in the earlier posts - it is a new Asus RT-AC68U that connects to just about anything else I throw at it (some of them wont connect to many other routers, but do connect easily with this one). Currently the router is running WPA2 personal with AES. However, I kind of doubt that the router is the issue when the card never even gets to the initialization phase completion (see the debug output in the above posts for what I mean). It hangs in the init before it even attempts to scan the SSIDs.

I have also tried it with and without a micro SD card inserted (and formatted - 2GB, for possible compatibility issues sake).

Is there a debug method that you can suggest to see this through?

adafruit_support_mike

Try disabling the AES on your wifi router and see if that makes any difference. It's a piece that isn't part of out reference configuration, and we know that an Arduino doesn't have the horsepower to do encryption.

growlf

Post by growlf »

Ok. Did that. No difference. I don't think it even gets to the point of trying to connect to the router - notice the output in the previous post where it is hanging in the initialization before it even scans the SSI's. It seems to be dieing in "ReadWlanInterruptPin" after a specific number of tries..

adafruit_support_mike

Hrm..

The symptoms sound like a memory overflow, but that shouldn't happen on an Uno running the stock examples. I suppose it's theoretically possible that your Arduino has a few sectors of bad memory, but that's about as unlikely as having two randomly selected CC3000s exhibit exactly the same hardware failure.

As far as I can tell, we have four possible sources of failure:

- The firmware
- The Arduino
- The CC3000
- The network

We've swapped CC3000s and that didn't seem to change the results, so that's less likely to be the problem.

WRT the firmware, indulge me and double-check something that's easy to overlook: make sure that you have the right flavor of Arduino selected under Tools->Board. It's probably right, but at this point everything is suspect.

If you can test the CC3000 with another Arduino, do. It would be extremely unusual for an Arduino to be marginal in that way, but 'unusual' != 'impossible'.

Also try connecting to some other network if you can. Your LAN may have some quirk in the wifi discovery or DHCP that hits a choke point in the CC3000 library code. I know there used to be a device firmware issue with IP addresses in the 10.x.x.x block.

If you haven't already done so, go into the file "debug.h" in the CC3000 library folder and define the DEBUG macro to 1. That will turn on the diagnostic output and allow you to throw in your own debug print functions to isolate the exact spot where things hang.

duarte_vasco

Post by duarte_vasco »

I seem to having the same problem.
The CC3000 does not initialize. I did some debugging and see that it blocks in the middle of printing one debug string see below
Hello, CC3000!

Free RAM: 1177

Initializing...
CC3000: init_spi

CC3000: Finished init_spi

CC3000: (user added)Returning from init_spi

(user added) returned and starting wlan_ini
Not that the last string is cut, it misses a few characters. The actual debug line is:

Code: Select all

DEBUGPRINT_F("(user added) returned and starting wlan_init\n\r");
Since it stops outputting to the Serial Port in the middle of a string I'm suspecting some serious failure (overflow, memory, etc.)

Any ideas what may be causing this?

the CC3000 model is: CC3000MOD / LTC 13220 55

adafruit_support_mike

@duarte_vasco: It sounds like you have a memory problem, but would you please start another thread to discuss it? Trying to handle multiple issues in a single thread is a recipe for confusion.

knack2

Post by knack2 »

Has this issue been resolved? I too have the same identical issue... CC3000 has been working fine soldered to my proto board attached to a Mega. After the wifi network was unavailable for several hours I noticed that my project was hung... several resets and power cycles have not resolved the issue... still hangs at initializing.... my debug looks the same also...see below... any ideas??

Initializing...
CC3000: init_spi

CC3000: Finished init_spi

init

start

CC3000: SpiOpen CC3000: WlanInterruptEnable.

CC3000: Finished SpiOpen

CC3000: ReadWlanInterruptPin - 001

CC3000: WriteWlanPin - 001

CC3000: ReadWlanInterruptPin

sleggyboy

Post by sleggyboy »

I also have the same issue.... will start a new thread, though

arawire

Post by arawire »

I also have the same issue and have started a thread.. I've just noticed this thread !

adafruit_support_mike

Starting a new thread is by far the best choice. We give new/unanswered threads top priority.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”