Send Data to a mobile phone from BlueFruit

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
8_b1t_Jo5h

Send Data to a mobile phone from BlueFruit

Post by 8_b1t_Jo5h »

Hi All

I currently have an Adafruit Ultimate GPS logger board. I was looking at buying a bluefruit EZLink module to transmit the GPS data collected by the GPS logger shield to a mobile phone.
Before I purchase the bluefruit module does anyone know if what i am trying to do is possible and if so, do i need to run a specific library to do it.

Thanks

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Send Data to a mobile phone from BlueFruit

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

We know the EZ-Link can communicate with some phones, but there are far too many models for us to test them all. What kind of phone do you have?

8_b1t_Jo5h

Post by 8_b1t_Jo5h »

Hi

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3.

What I want to do is collect data from the Ultimate GPS logger shield by adafruit and then send the GPS data collected by that board to my phone via bluetooth. I think the BlueFruit module will be the best piece of hardware for my needs but I just want to be sure

Thanks

mchobby

Post by mchobby »

I would be interested by such product (GPS Ultime + BlueFruit EZLink) and see the data coming into an Android Cell Phone (into a term software or equivalent).

Currently, I'm experiencing trouble in making my Cell Phone communicating with the EZLink.
I'm trying to communicate with an Android on Galaxy S3 (using Android software BlueTerm or SENA BTerm) To the EZLink. On the other side, I did connect FTDI Friend + BlueFruit EZLink to my computer (and minicom software.. I'm Linux). I would like to see the Key Pressed into the computer Terminal appreaing into my Android Cell Phone (having BlueTooth support, paired with the EZ-Link) by using Android terminal software.
The aim is to establish and test a communication link.
At this stage, I do not see a single byte going from the minicom (so via the FTDI-Friend + EZ-Link) to my Android Blutooth terminal (paired on the EZLink and using BlueTerm or SENA BTerm).
When typing Keys on minicom (so on the FTDI side), I do see the RX led of the EZ-Link blinking... but nothing seems to reach the cell phone.
The "conn" led of EZLink is still blinking (every 3 seconds)...

any suggestion would be welcome :-)

mchobby

Post by mchobby »

Does someone has any suggestion?

mchobby

Post by mchobby »

Hi everybody,
I did find the solution :-) The problem is not the phone and/or wiring... the problem was the terminal software on the Android cell phone.

I did find the "BlueTooth SPP" software Android Software on Google Play.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... uetoothSPP

It just allows you to test easily and efficiently the SPP connection :-)
I did use the "Real-Time" mode to send bytes back and forward between:
1) my Android Cell Phone (running Bluetooth SPP)
2) my computer using Putty on USB (FTDI Friend + BlueFruit EZ-Link).... I don't have any integrated Bluetooth support on my computer :-/

Wiring Between my FTDI Friend & EZ-Link

FTDI:GND ----> EZ-LINK:GND
FTDI:VCC -----> EZ-LINK:VIN
FTDI:RX ----> EZ-LINK:TX
FDTI:TX ----> EZ-LINK:RX

That rocks!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”