Data Logger

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tjohns34

Data Logger

Post by tjohns34 »

This is my first post here as I am new to using Arduino. I am trying to make an automotive data logger with a logger shield. I have most of it worked out but I am struggling to work out how to log engine RPM, the problem being that the output from the crank sensor is AC, typically 1v cranking and depending on the engine speed, number of triggers and sensor gap the voltage can be in the hundreds even up to 1000v. Any help would be great.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Data Logger

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

For anything over about 30v (high enough to produce a dangerous shock), we suggest getting in touch with someone who knows how to handle those voltages safely, and ideally someone who knows the quirks of the application in question.. in this case, probably a certified mechanic.

There are just too many cases where a mistake can cause lots of expensive damage, and too many of those involve an ambulance ride at best.

1chicagodave

Re: Data Logger

Post by 1chicagodave »

I'd say the OBD port? My brother recently did work on a GPS & Cloud enabled version of an ODB sensor (similar-ish to that thing Progressive Insurance advertises). Lots of good info available at that little port.

But, here's an open-source OBD to TTL designed for Arduino -
http://obd.arduinodev.com

* AND....yes, stay away from anything with triple-digits-volts! :shock:

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”