Adafruit Ultimate GPS Logger Shield + 128x64 OLED graphic di

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
scientist13

Adafruit Ultimate GPS Logger Shield + 128x64 OLED graphic di

Post by scientist13 »

Hello,

I am trying to get the GPS coordinates using the Adafruit shield and then display date/time and coordinates on the 128x64 OLED graphic display. The individual code to extract GPS coordinate and display over serial works find and so does the code for display various this on the display. However, when I write the minimalistic code to display on OLED the time received for the GPS, it runs fine for few seconds, we get the GPS lock and the correct time is displayed but then the display reboots (sequence: shows the adafruit logo --> then time, it keep updating the time over the display for a minute or so and then it reboots and the sequence starts again). I don't understand whats happening. I am pretty sure I am not sharing a pin with GPS and OLED. I am using SPI with standard SPI pin configuration as documented and soft serial for GPS.

Any Suggestions ?

~Scientist13

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Adafruit Ultimate GPS Logger Shield + 128x64 OLED graphi

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

I think you are running out of SRAM. The OLED requires a 1K buffer, which doesn't leave much for the GPS and everything else. You might want to try switching to a Leonardo, which has 2.5K of SRAM vs. the 2K of the Uno.

There are some things you can try to reduce SRAM usage. Please see our tutorial. The simplest thing is to use the F() macro on all literal strings in print statements.
http://learn.adafruit.com/memories-of-an-arduino

Ercenk

Post by Ercenk »

I am also seeing some strange behavior with this combination.

I have these connected to an Arduino Due, so I guess that should not be a memory problem. When I run different sketches for testing the OLED and the GPS both work fine separately. But when I add the code for both of them on the same sketch, say, displaying very simple values from the parser example sketch, the GPS locks up.

And yes, I tried changing the timer value from 2 seconds to 5, or 10 to make sure the display code does not overwhelm the controller.

Scientist13, have you solved your issue? Was that because of the memory?

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Post your combined code - I'll try to replicate the problem.

Ercenk

Post by Ercenk »

Thanks for your response. I managed to look at it again after my trip. Turned out to be a rookie mistake. Never mind...

Scoop is, I have this on a Due, with tx/rx connected to Serial 1 pins (18&19) and assumed 7&8 are free. And I have not cut the connection on the PCB from TX/RX to 7&8. I have another thing using 7&8 as digital pins, so there was a conflict...

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”