No sound from Wave Shield- SD working

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
chicagoedist

No sound from Wave Shield- SD working

Post by chicagoedist »

Hello, long time seller of fine Adafruit products, first time poster!

We tried building a Wave Shield tonight and got to the point where the SD is working and it pretends to be playing files (as viewed in the serial monitor), however nothing is coming out.

I tried checking for audio coming out of Pin 8 of the MCP4921 and did not get any.

Any suggestions on where to go from here? Below are some pictures...I'm not the best solderer and I had to use a backup iron that might have been a little hot, hopefully I didn't cook anything. Thanks in advance for the help.

Thanks,
Craig
Chicago Electronic Distributors
chicagodist.com

adafruit_support_bill

Re: No sound from Wave Shield- SD working

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

There are a few stray wires on the bottom that should be clipped close to the board. A short circuit between any of those jumper wires would cause the DAC to malfunction.

Once you get those cleaned up, find an earbud type headphone and clip an alligator clip jumper around the plug. Connect the other end of the alligator to the ground pin on the shield. Then while playing a wav file, touch the tip of the headphone plug to the lead of R7 closest to the DAC chip. If you hear sound there, we know the DAC is working.

chicagoedist

Re: No sound from Wave Shield- SD working

Post by chicagoedist »

Naturally you were right. Thanks!!!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”