Motion issue with VC0703 camera

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
cbrucewarren

Motion issue with VC0703 camera

Post by cbrucewarren »

I am just testing this with the example sketches from Adafruit learning. [ I note that the "#include spi.h" line was missing from both example sketches, needed this for it to work?

In the motion test sketch, the only change I made was to a line to turn on a LED whenever motion was detected. I found that the motion detection is always on [i.e. "if (cam.getMotionDetect())" is always true ].
I put a piece of cardboard in front of the lens and this still happens, it is constantly taking images.

Everything else seems to be working.

Side question: please confirm what "cam.resumeVideo();" is doing at end of the loop; there is no equivalent cam.startVideo(), and this line is not in the sketch for testing the still camera.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Motion issue with VC0703 camera

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

The SD library was updated recently, and #include <SPI.h> is now necessary in sketches. Not all of the examples have been updated yet. Sorry about that.
cam.resumeVideo() is there because cam.takePicture() has to stop video in order to download the frame buffer - otherwise, the frame buffer would continue to change.

Not sure why you are seeing constant motion. Does the Serial Monitor continuously print out "Motion!" and "Picture taken!"?

cbrucewarren

Post by cbrucewarren »

re the question , yes it is detecting motion.

I hate it when problems 'fix themselves' with no clear explanation: i reloaded the program, with no changes and now it appears to be working.....

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

cbrucewarren wrote:I hate it when problems 'fix themselves' with no clear explanation:
I hate that too. On the other hand, I hate it even worse when they don't fix themselves. ;-)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”