Adding ICSP pass-thru header on data logging shield?!

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
liudr

Adding ICSP pass-thru header on data logging shield?!

Post by liudr »

http://www.adafruit.com/product/1141

How hard is this? I have ICSP pass-thru headers on my all newer shields, why can't Adafruit?

http://www.inmojo.com/store/liudr-ardui ... er-shield/

You don't have to pre-solder it for us, or even including it for us, but, please, add it to your shield on the far right side of the prototype area, wire SD card to it, for Arduino MEGA and other shields' sake!!!

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Adding ICSP pass-thru header on data logging shield?!

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Not sure exactly what you're referring to..

If you want to attach a 2x3 header to the datalogger so it lines up with the ICSP pins on an Arduino, I'm pretty sure the holes in the prototyping area are aligned to make that work. The utility of such a connection is limited on the Uno because all the ICSP pins are already connected to the GPIO pins, and most of our shields have double-rows of holes on the edges so you can solder to or re-route the signals associated with those pins.

liudr

Post by liudr »

adafruit_support_mike wrote:Not sure exactly what you're referring to..

If you want to attach a 2x3 header to the datalogger so it lines up with the ICSP pins on an Arduino, I'm pretty sure the holes in the prototyping area are aligned to make that work. The utility of such a connection is limited on the Uno because all the ICSP pins are already connected to the GPIO pins, and most of our shields have double-rows of holes on the edges so you can solder to or re-route the signals associated with those pins.
You made this sound too easy. Yes, I just did what you suggested, lining up 2X3 header with prototyping holes, seems an OK alignment, off by about 0.05" maybe. Could spell trouble. If I do this, I have to wire up 6 pins. I'm talking dozens of units for each project I do. If you do this, you just make a few mouse clicks, lose a few proto holes near the edge at most and disconnect pins 11-13 from the level shifter. Having these connections just wastes 3 pins on a MEGA.

What's the point of open source if a good suggestion is dismissed as (oh just use software SPI or just wire them up this way)? It costs you nothing and no incompatibility with previous versions. Not having that pass-thru header limits your board to be the top board. Arduino official shields don't have them either, just one facing down. How do I use arduino wifi shield with your logger, assuming I need front access to an SD card so I don't have to break apart my data logger just to get the microSD, cause it faces away from the USB on the arduino wifi shield. Say I want to use a certain inexpensive shield off ebay, which has only male headers and needs SPI. Then this shield should go on top. But no, the adafruit shield already takes the top spot. So no go.

Well, it's "good" to know your forum bans certain words that are perfectly polite and means cost-effective. Gawd knows what other words are not allowed.

BTW, I would have used dozens of your shield if there is a pass-thru header. I ended up making my own.

adafruit_support_mike

liudr wrote:What's the point of open source if a good suggestion is dismissed as (oh just use software SPI or just wire them up this way)?
The point is that you can adapt our design to fit your own purposes without paying us a licensing fee or getting sued. It puts the 'Y' in 'DIY'.
liudr wrote:Well, it's "good" to know your forum bans certain words that are perfectly polite and means cost-effective. Gawd knows what other words are not allowed.
The name of a certain energy drink company (and/or audio cable company) beginning with 'M', the names of various pharmaceuticals, and anything else our Bayesean filter correlates strongly with recent link spam.

We've learned to think of it as an applied Turing test.

liudr

Post by liudr »

This is outrageous. Adafruit keeps telling DIYers they have to replace arduino SD library with theirs so the shield can work with mega and other boards, at the same time, they would not lift a finger to improve their own design to make it better. Which part of open source inspiring improvement do you NOT get?! Did you personally design this? You are so protective. How many DIYers can make small batches of modified boards with preassembled surface mount parts so they measure up to your Y standard? Do you have a code that if one support guy start replying then others will not reply? I don't see others reply.

adafruit_support_mike

I'll pass your feedback along to the product team.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”