RGB LCD kit questions

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
revive

RGB LCD kit questions

Post by revive »

Hello,
I'm in the process of selecting the components to build an Arduino based display, and I need both a display and buttons to control other functions (changing temp. values, starting and stopping a timer, etc.). Can the buttons built into this product (https://www.adafruit.com/products/714) be used for control general functions on the Board.. or are they limited to LCD based functions?

Ideally, I would be able to display a timer and temperature on the LCD, using the buttons to change the desired temp. setting and another button to start/stop a timer.. is that possible with these LCDs? If not, what product would you recommend as the easiest to integrate 16x2 LCD ?

Thanks for all the great work, tutorials and general 'awesome-ness' that the adafruit has become!!

revive

Re: RGB LCD kit questions

Post by revive »

More specifically.. can we address the buttons on this shield while using the 'native' lib .. or do we need to use the one Adafruit created for this shield?

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

You need to use the Adafruit library to drive the LCD because all the signals go through the MCP23107 port expander. The LCD library that comes with the Arduino IDE only knows how to talk to displays connected to the Arduino's own digital IO pins.

Aside from going through the '017 too, the buttons are pretty much independent of the LCD. You can use them for whatever you want. Again, you need to use the Adafruit library because the Arduino IDE doesn't have native support for the MSP230xx family of chips.

revive

Post by revive »

Excellent, makes perfect sense and thanks for the clarification!

revive

Post by revive »

Does adafruit carry any mounts for this screen or does anyone know where I can find one? Would be awesome if one existed with buttons built into the mount!!!

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

All we have is the shield. Enclosures tend to be very project-specific, and everyone wants something in a different place than anyone else.

You can wire the shield to an enclosure's buttons by running wire from the pads on the PCB to the switches.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”