Wave Shield Outputs

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
zara2355

Wave Shield Outputs

Post by zara2355 »

hey all-

This is perhaps a really, REALLY dumb question, but here goes:

Are either of the Wave Shield outputs dedicated L & R?

I'm going to be connecting a 3.7W Class D Audio Amplifier so i can run two speakers from the amp, and i obviously want to wire the amp correctly.

Is there perhaps a wiring diagram for just this thing?

I looked at the amp tutorial (https://learn.adafruit.com/stereo-3-7w- ... nd-outputs) as well as the Wave tutorial (https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-wav ... or-arduino) and i am assuming that the two thru-holes right behind the jack on the Wave Shield are for connecting a speaker, but i'm a little unsure if one is R and one is L or if it even matters as long as i connect one to R+ and the other to L+ and then run both the R- and L- back to GND.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated!!!

Franklin97355

Re: Wave Shield Outputs

Post by Franklin97355 »

The wave shield is monaural. The two holes are for a speaker connection If you hook up a stereo jack to the amp you should be able to plug it into the audio jack and it will feed both channels.

zara2355

Post by zara2355 »

Ok, hmmmmm, i think my question should be a little modified...... I posted my original question at 4 in the morning so i think i might not have been all that clear, sorry :)

I'm going to be wiring the Wave Shield to a Stereo 3.7W Class D Audio Amplifier (Adafruit part # 987).

Is there a wiring diagram for this?

Thanks!

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Waveshield speaker jack connections
Waveshield speaker jack connections
2014-06-21_09h25_01.png (163.92 KiB) Viewed 340 times
You could wire directly to the waveshield but if you have it already built I think the jack is an easier option.

zara2355

Post by zara2355 »

You could wire directly to the waveshield but if you have it already built I think the jack is an easier option.
I havent wired it at all yet. What i want to do is wire the Wave shield directly to the Stereo 3.7W Class D Audio Amplifier (Adafruit part # 987). The jack on the Wave Shield is simply a physical reference point Im using so you would know what thru holes i'm talking about. So, that said, the two thru holes i'm talking about, is one of them dedicated R and the other dedicated L?

I'm really just looking for a wiring diagram to wire the Wave Shield to the Stereo 3.7W Class D Audio Amplifier (Adafruit part # 987). That's all really.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

OK, here is the schematic https://learn.adafruit.com/system/asset ... 1schem.png as you can see in the upper right one hole is ground and the other is signal. There is no left and right since this is monaural.

zara2355

Post by zara2355 »

I suppose my next question is does it matter which is ground?

Sorry for the idiotic questions, I'm very new to all this. Thanks for all the help

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

The one closest to the edge looks to be the ground but if you have a meter check it.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”