Ultimate GPS Shield plus depth transducer logging

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Jim_paec1

Ultimate GPS Shield plus depth transducer logging

Post by Jim_paec1 »

Hi all,

I would like to make a small GPS and water depth data logger. I would like to record the GPS and depth information 1 time each second as my remote control boat zooms around the lake. I purchased a bunch of parts for the project from Adafruit and am slowly working through the design.

Step 1. I have an Arduino Uno and the Ultimate GPS shield with an external antenna. I followed all the set up tutorials and it works great. I can get the data to log to a microSD card each second very reliably. When I map the output it looks good on a map.

Step 2. I have a cruz pro active depth transducer, http://www.cruzpro.co.nz/active.html, that I would like to receive the depth information from. I purchased a second Arduino Uno and the datalogger shield to test this depth transducer on. The depth transducer is powered by a 12 volt battery and then has a standard RS232 serial data port. I am trying to figure out how to power and log the data.

In the transducer specifications it says:
WIRING:
CAUTION: Wiring the transducer incorrectly may result in DAMAGE or FAILURE of the unit.
Red/Black Wire: +12VDC
Black Wire: Power Ground
DB9 RS232 connector to PC or to Serial/USB converter
Use a 5 amp fuse in series with the +12VDC.

Question 1: Can I link this transducer to my Arduino or the datalogger shield? Or will the 12v power overload the Arduino? Do I need a separate part to attach the DB9 RS232 to the Arduino?

I don't want to ruin either the depth transducer or the Arduino by incorrectly wiring them together. IF I can get the depth transducer working with the datalogger, I will then try to move it to the GPS logger for the final step.

Thanks for any help in advance,
Jim

Franklin97355

Re: Ultimate GPS Shield plus depth transducer logging

Post by Franklin97355 »

Do I need a separate part to attach the DB9 RS232 to the Arduino?
You will need something like this to connect the rs232 from the sender to the Arduino.https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... ter+module

Jim_paec1

Post by Jim_paec1 »

Thanks for the response.

Just to be sure, I would supply 12v to the depth transducer side of the RS232 to TTL converter and then connect the TTL side to the arduino? This would allow both sides to work and then I could log the NMEA string from the depth sounder, correct?

Thanks again,
Jim

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Usually these converters take their power from the connection so you should just need to plug them between the devices.

Balinus

Post by Balinus »

I know the post is old but I'm trying to do something similar... Did you succeed?

I can't find anything close to a solution for depth and GPS to make custom bathymetry maps for fishing lake...

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”