"USB not recognized" while shield is attached

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
knelson

"USB not recognized" while shield is attached

Post by knelson »

Hello-

I am using the data logger shield with an Arduino Pro 5v/16MHz for a weather station. I have 15 replicates of this station and have run into a confusing problem with one of the datalogger shields--all the other shields worked as expected. When I plug in the Arduino pro with the shield mounted, my Windows 7 machine returns "One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it." The curious thing is that when I remove the shield, Windows recognizes the ARduino Pro board without a problem. Also, when a different data logger shield is mounted on the same Arduino pro board, the combination works as expected. The shield causes the same problem when mounted to other boards. I have already reloaded my drivers, reformatted the SD card, and inspected my soldering... Hopefully someone here can help diagnose the issue.

Thanks,

Kellen
Side 2
Side 2
side 1.jpg (274.22 KiB) Viewed 344 times
Side 1
Side 1
side 2.jpg (298.56 KiB) Viewed 344 times
bottom of board.jpg
bottom of board.jpg (155.82 KiB) Viewed 344 times

Franklin97355

Re: "USB not recognized" while shield is attached

Post by Franklin97355 »

Did it work before you soldered all the extras on? I'd check to make sure you have no shorts. Whos pro are you using? Several people make them.

knelson

Post by knelson »

I'm using the SparkFun Arduino Pro. https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10915

The continuity of all my wiring checks out. I tested from the solders on the back of the board including from the mounted male headers. Unfortunately, since I've been doing so many of these, I soldered the whole thing up without checking to make sure that the Shield was functional before adding the wiring.

Alas, same error upon plugging it into the computer. Thanks for the input!

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Check your wiring for a short to GND. That's the most common hardware-based USB problem.

knelson

Post by knelson »

You nailed it--short to ground. I had a small speck of solder that crossed pins. I had to pull up a wire to find it.

Thanks for your help!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”