1.8" TFT PID 802 died after 4 hours

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
antisoshal

1.8" TFT PID 802 died after 4 hours

Post by antisoshal »

Recieved my order on Friday. Spent yesterday eve soldering the headers in and learning how to use the display test example. Got it working at about 8pm. at about midnight the display backlight went out and the surface mount devices at the bottom left corner of the display were too hot to touch. Removed power and let it sit for a bit in case there was any sort of thermal rest circuit. applied power, display still black, chips still instantly too hot to touch. Is there a means to repair/exchange this at all or am I just out 35$ and do I need to re-think using Arduino materials in the future. I'm a lifelong electronic tech, so I can assure you its not a noob solder job. The board worked perfectly for about 4 hours.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: 1.8" TFT PID 802 died after 4 hours

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

antisoshal wrote:I'm a lifelong electronic tech, so I can assure you its not a noob solder job.
Can you post some pictures of it anyway? It's our policy.

antisoshal

Post by antisoshal »

Certainly. When I get home. I understand you guys must have a high rate of complaint from people who have no idea what they are doing but swear they didn't do anything and it just doesn't work. I would be willing to split the cost or whatever. Usually stuff like this has a no return policy and with good reason, so I assumed such. I just hate spending another 34$ if another one is gonna burn out.

adafruit_support_rick

This is the first instance I know of something like this happening with that display. It's normally reliable.

antisoshal

Post by antisoshal »

For the record, the LCD panel itself came more or less un-attached to the board also. It looks like there's supposed to be some adhesive tape or something to hold it there, but i tried pressing it on and it just kept popping off. That wasn't a deal breaker to me, but in case it matters to you.

antisoshal

Post by antisoshal »

Yeah I noticed there were no complaints to speak of, so I assume I just got the lucky draw. Looks like a regulator and a surface mount resistor on the corner, and the regulator was hot enough to burn me.

antisoshal

Post by antisoshal »

solder2.jpg
solder2.jpg (130.7 KiB) Viewed 327 times
solder1.jpg
solder1.jpg (151.36 KiB) Viewed 327 times
Here's my solder job. Tried to clean the flux off with a little isopropyl but theres still some between the pins. I tried the Arduino Mega on its own and loaded Blink and it still works. Tried the plug in the display board again and got same heat on These components.
heat.jpg
heat.jpg (247.43 KiB) Viewed 327 times

adafruit_support_rick

OK. Thanks for the pictures. Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement display. Remind them to throw in another set of stacking headers.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”