LCD Shield i2C 16*2 (No RGB) Problem

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
PierlugiRovere

LCD Shield i2C 16*2 (No RGB) Problem

Post by PierlugiRovere »

Good Afternoon,
i tried to find a problem like mine, but the search engine doesn't allow words like "LCD" or "Problem", so i'm here to explain whats is happened.
All the buttons that i soldered works perfectly, (i check it out with Serail.print() function), but i see flashing (so fast) rectangles on the first line, nothing on the second.
Also if i turn background light on, these rectangles disappear! (i'm using USB Cable connected with my MackBook for downloading and testing "Hello World" Sketch).
What's is wrong?

EDIT: i'm using Arduino Uno rev.3 with this shield attached.

Franklin97355

Re: LCD Shield i2C 16*2 (No RGB) Problem

Post by Franklin97355 »

There are several solder joints that look a little "bloby" touch those up and make sure the solder flowed on both the pin and the pad. This might help https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-gui ... -soldering Also make sure you have the contrast set correctly.

PierlugiRovere

Post by PierlugiRovere »

Thanks a lot for your reply!
i tried to remake all the connections, but probably there are still imperfections.
400 °C (752°F) is a good temperature? i've tried to solder with 425°C but i saw no appreciable differences.
All my connections look matt, not shiny like the tutorial: where am I doing wrong?
Which pins needs to be resold?

Thanks!

if i change the contrast with a screwdriver, i see rectangles only where the potentiometer is totally on the left (full counterclockwise position), if i change it, after 2° every things disappear. is it normal?

PS: i'm using a solder station called "ATTEN 936b 60W SMD". is it good? (a small description here)

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

You are using too high a temperature. Take a look at this
http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/sol ... sn96-4900/
Your mat appearance is OK for lead free solder, leaded solder should be shiny.
These pins still need help, turn your iron down and touch both the pad and pin. You may need to use some solder wick to get the excess solder off because you need the flux in new solder to make a good joint. Also make sure your iron tip is clean and tinned before starting.
2014-07-09_05h59_17.png
2014-07-09_05h59_17.png (288.05 KiB) Viewed 605 times

PierlugiRovere

Post by PierlugiRovere »

Thanks a lot!
From your link i found this: "Upper Temperature Limit (Lead Free Solder)-->Do not to exceed 350 ºC (tip temperature)"
I'm 100° over..... oooops!
During my soldering work i'm usually touch only the pin (I'm terrified of cooking the pad!)... so, another mistake!
I'm using this Siringe for removing the excess solder. Is it enough?

Tomorrow i'll try to fix this shield.

Don't let me alone ;)

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

That is a good tool for removing solder. The trick to a good solder joint is to have a clean tip, put a SMALL amount of solder on the tip just before starting to make your connections, touch the tip to the junction of the pad and the pin, add a bit of solder from the other side, wait for it to flow and remove the iron. This should take no more that two or three seconds if done at the right temperature. If it does not work the worst thing you can do is leave the iron on the joint too long. If you are having problems get a flux pen like this http://www.amazon.com/Kester-951-Solder ... B004X4KOWS make sure it is no clean or rosin not water clean.

PierlugiRovere

Post by PierlugiRovere »

I decided to buy that pen. i'll give you a feedback at the end of the work!
Thanks!

PierlugiRovere

Post by PierlugiRovere »

Sorry for the delay, but i've tried to remake all the connections a lot of times with this pen (note: it's fantastic!).
result: the seller refunded me the cost of this kit, and i stopped searching the problem.
So... thank you so much for your help!

mullinsyyc

Post by mullinsyyc »

Hello
I am having a similar result in my first attempt at building the RGB kit. Product 714, RGB LCD SHIELD KIT W/ 16X2 CHARACTER DISPLAY

Modified the code to output serial comments when buttons are pressed and see those in terminal, but the screen is not changing at all. If I turn the contrast all the way counter clockwise, the top row of boxes is lit and a few pixel rows of the second row are lit.

When I press the back button, the second row go's black, top row stays lit, no words are visible.

Have looked at my solder points for them not touching each other and they look ok, however it's my first attempt at soldering and I'm sure they are not proper. So will read up on the other links in this thread to improve and re-do the ones that look bad and see if that helps.

I am attaching the shield onto an uno. It must be a new version as there is no missing pin places as talked about in the docs. I do get some compile warnings from the adafriut libraries, not errors, and the sketch does upload to the device. Not sure if this has anything to do with the problem.

If anyone has any suggestions on what might be causing the behavior that would be appreciated also.

Thanks

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

@mullinsyyc Let's start with pictures, could you post clear pictures of both sides of your board showing any soldering you have done and the connections to it? Also have you tried the example code and could you post the "warnings" you are getting?

mullinsyyc

Post by mullinsyyc »

Thanks for looking at this.

Im using the arduino IDE version 1.0.5-r2. All attempts so far have been using the expample code provided in the library download. I only made changes to add the serial.print when a button press was detected to see if it was even working. And I was getting the serial print front the setup time and each of the button presses. Downloaded the library from adafruit git hub and installed in my library folder. Did the folder rename. Am using the Helloworld example in the adafruit download. It's visable from the IDE in the examples menu.

Here is the warnings I am getting on the verify:
If the whole log is of value plet me know. I have cut out the success lines.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avr-g++ -c -g -Os -Wall -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -MMD -DUSB_VID=null -DUSB_PID=null -DARDUINO=105 -IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino -IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\variants\standard C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino\HardwareSerial.cpp -o C:\Users\Darryl\AppData\Local\Temp\build7498366041207680024.tmp\HardwareSerial.cpp.o
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino\HardwareSerial.cpp: In function 'void store_char(unsigned char, ring_buffer*)':
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino\HardwareSerial.cpp:98: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino\HardwareSerial.cpp: In function 'void __vector_18()':
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino\HardwareSerial.cpp:127: warning: unused variable 'c'
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino\HardwareSerial.cpp: In member function 'void HardwareSerial::begin(long unsigned int, byte)':
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino\HardwareSerial.cpp:368: warning: unused variable 'current_config'
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino\HardwareSerial.cpp: In member function 'virtual size_t HardwareSerial::write(uint8_t)':
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino\HardwareSerial.cpp:467: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avr-g++ -c -g -Os -Wall -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -MMD -DUSB_VID=null -DUSB_PID=null -DARDUINO=105 -IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino -IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\variants\standard C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino\HID.cpp -o C:\Users\Darryl\AppData\Local\Temp\build7498366041207680024.tmp\HID.cpp.o

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avr-g++ -c -g -Os -Wall -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -MMD -DUSB_VID=null -DUSB_PID=null -DARDUINO=105 -IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino -IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\variants\standard C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino\Print.cpp -o C:\Users\Darryl\AppData\Local\Temp\build7498366041207680024.tmp\Print.cpp.o
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino\Print.cpp: In member function 'size_t Print::print(const __FlashStringHelper*)':
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino\Print.cpp:44: warning: '__progmem__' attribute ignored

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avr-g++ -c -g -Os -Wall -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -MMD -DUSB_VID=null -DUSB_PID=null -DARDUINO=105 -IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino -IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\variants\standard C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino\Stream.cpp -o C:\Users\Darryl\AppData\Local\Temp\build7498366041207680024.tmp\Stream.cpp.o
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avr-g++ -c -g -Os -Wall -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -MMD -DUSB_VID=null -DUSB_PID=null -DARDUINO=105 -IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino -IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\variants\standard C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino\Tone.cpp -o C:\Users\Darryl\AppData\Local\Temp\build7498366041207680024.tmp\Tone.cpp.o
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino\Tone.cpp:119: warning: only initialized variables can be placed into program memory area
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avr-g++ -c -g -Os -Wall -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -MMD -DUSB_VID=null -DUSB_PID=null -DARDUINO=105 -IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino -IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\variants\standard C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino\USBCore.cpp -o C:\Users\Darryl\AppData\Local\Temp\build7498366041207680024.tmp\USBCore.cpp.o

The Uno board i am using:
20140829_133848.jpg
20140829_133848.jpg (82.18 KiB) Viewed 487 times
The Top:
This will show the set up as well as the screen when powered on and hello world loaded, and what happens when the back button is pushed.
Front.jpg
Front.jpg (727.53 KiB) Viewed 487 times
The back:
This will show the solders. I will go back and fix some of these based on the readings on the site. As well it shows the solder tip (on the left, fine tip) that I used. Perhaps this is the wrong tip for the job??? Will try the larger (right) on the fixes. The iron I am using is a Hakko 888, temp setting at 75. 22 gauge RA flux solder.
Back.jpg
Back.jpg (659.21 KiB) Viewed 487 times

mullinsyyc

Post by mullinsyyc »

Have been able to get the shield now working. :-) Here is the changes made.

Basically it was to fix the solder. I changed the temperature on the iron to 700 down from 750. I also change the tip to the larger tip in the previous post. It was done in two steps. The first attempt I did all but the post on the bottom of the board that run up to the top LCD display. I thought they looked ok.

However here is a picture of what I had after that. It was working and displaying but not changing colour when a button was pressed.
Display Working - No colours.jpg
Display Working - No colours.jpg (233.08 KiB) Viewed 485 times
So, I figured the only solders I had not re-touched was the bottom pegs that go up to the top lcd. I did those and it now works and displays all colours when the buttons are pressed.
Display Working - With colours.jpg
Display Working - With colours.jpg (291.86 KiB) Viewed 485 times
Here is image of the main solders fixed:
New Solders to fix.jpg
New Solders to fix.jpg (429.98 KiB) Viewed 485 times
For a beginner, it really emphasizes the need for a proper solder connection.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

For a beginner, it really emphasizes the need for a proper solder connection.
Yes, soldering is one of the most often seen problems and as you do more you will get better. I would definitely recommend the larger tip for through hole soldering (it's what I use most of the time. One last thing, when doing through hole leaded parts try to support them on the front side so you can cut the leads short before soldering. I can link an extremely boring video of soldering tutorial for NASA if you are interested. It's way more than a hobbiest should ever have to do.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”