powering Arduino UNO r3 and Adafruit Motor Shield v2

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mizzard

powering Arduino UNO r3 and Adafruit Motor Shield v2

Post by mizzard »

Hello everybody,

I have just received my two mentioned boards and I want to power a stepper motor (adafruit 324).
I have installed all the libraries, the IDE, and compiled and loaded the stepper example.
If I use 5V USB power (inserting VIN jumper on Motorshield V2) I see how the stepper works but it seems with a low torque.
Instead of that, if I power the board using a 12V/1A jack and it seems to work ok.

The main doubt that I have is if I want to communicate with the motor using the USB virtual COM port and an external power (in order to have the desired torque).

1. Is only possible by powering the Arduino uno r3 by usb, removing the VIN jumper (MotorShield) and using the blue VIN (5-12 V) terminal ports?

2. Because if I plug both (USB and JACK POWER) with VIN jumper inserted (MotorShield), could it damage the board?

Hope your answers, thank you so much

Enrique

adafruit_support_bill

Re: powering Arduino UNO r3 and Adafruit Motor Shield v2

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

It would be possible to power via the DC input jack and USB at the same time. The chances of damaging your Arduino that way are small.

However, when working with devices like motors, it is better to separate the supplies completely to keep motor noise and inductive spikes completely out of the processor power supply.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”