Motorshield M2 not working

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adamr1

Motorshield M2 not working

Post by adamr1 »

I recently purchased the v2 motorshield and noticed that the M2 terminals do not work. I was running the dcmotor test sketch and was checking that the motors that I have work by replacing in that sketch which motor to run and when I plug a motor in to M2 it does nothing but if I plug the motor in either of the other M terminals it works fine, so M2 doesnt work. What should I do about that? Thanks.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Motorshield M2 not working

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Post some clear photos showing your soldering and connections to the shield.

What motors are you using?
What power supply are you using?

adamr1

Post by adamr1 »

It came with the terminals already soldered on, I will have to take some pictures. During testing I am using via usb with the power jumper in place. Like I said, I have it hooked up to M1 & M3 and works great but if I hook one motor up to M2 it, M2 motor doesnt work.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

We don't sell Motor Shields with the headers soldered in. Where did you get yours?

adamr1

Post by adamr1 »

Sorry for the confusion. The terminals were already soldered. I soldered the headers on. Everything works except when a motor is attached the the M2 terminals.

adafruit_support_bill

Please post some clear photos showing your soldering and connections to the shield.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

We do ship with the terminals soldered in - but not the headers! Still, they should work, please post some pix and we'll take a look! :)

adamr1

Post by adamr1 »

Here is a picture of the underneath. Currently I don't have anything plugged into M2 becasue it doesnt work so am using M3. M1 works fine. And like I said otherwise the shield and my program works fine; just that the motor doesnt work when attached to M2.

adafruit_support_mike

It looks like some of those joints didn't wet the pads completely. There's solder on the pin, but it might not be making a solid connection to the pad.

I'm not sure why that would cause one output to work differently than the others, but debugging is a process of fixing things as you find them. Take a look at our guide to soldering and reheat the ones that don't make a smooth curve to the PCB:

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-gui ... -soldering

adamr1

Post by adamr1 »

I see that actually in the picture very well. Didn't notice. But again, the shield works fine otherwise. If I fix the soldering would you expect M2 would start to work?

adafruit_support_mike

I can't make any promises, but debugging is a process of fixing problems as you find them. It's hard to predict the side-effects of any given problem, and impossible to guess how the problem you've found interacts with the one you haven't found yet.

Cleaning as you go reduces the number of possibilities dramatically. The more oddball interactions you eliminate, the easier it is to isolate problems in areas you expect.

adamr1

Post by adamr1 »

Yah no luck. Cleaned everything up. M2 still doesn't work. I'm only driving 2 motors so I am using M1 & M3 so its no problem but just annoying that motors wont run on M2 if I ever use it for a different project. Thanks for your help though.

adafruit_support_bill

If all the other motors are working, I'd have to conclude that there is a problem in either the bridge chip for M2 or one of the connections to it. Since we are shipping these with terminals installed at the factory, everything downstream of the PCA9685 chip should be right out of the factory.
If you contact [email protected] with a link to this thread we can send out a replacement shield to you.

adamr1

Post by adamr1 »

Ok, will do. Thank you.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”