Data Logging and LCD shield questions

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
crefird

Data Logging and LCD shield questions

Post by crefird »

I am trying to make a 4 channel data logger. The data to be logged is from 4 independent instruments via RS-232. I chose to start with an Arduino Mega 2560 because of its 4 UARTs. I have added a Data Logging shield (1141) and a RGB LCD shield (714). Everything is working OK to the extent I have tested it, except I have been unable to set/change the seconds on the RTC using a modified ds1307 sketch. The difference between the RTC and time.gov is around 6 seconds. Is this normal?

Since serial 0 is used for programming and debugging, can I use SoftSerial to get another serial input channel while coding and testing the system? Can I use serial 0 for one of the data channels as long as the USB is not connected?

Franklin97355

Re: Data Logging and LCD shield questions

Post by Franklin97355 »

The time on the RTC is set to the computers time when the program is compiled. It could take that long from compile to upload so that may be the reason. You can use a software serial instance but I would use it on one of the ports that do not need a speedy connection since it is not as fast as hardware.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”