adafruit 16 channel servo shield with nanPy

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
foobin

adafruit 16 channel servo shield with nanPy

Post by foobin »

Hello,

I am using nanPy 0.9 to control the Arduino from Raspberry Pi.

Does anyone know how to control the adafruit 16 channel servo shield using nanPy?

Currently with servo's connected directly to Arduino, i am able to connect using:
from nanpy import Servo
servo1 = Servo(10) #servo connected to pin 10
servo1.write(90)
The main problem is how do i reference, connect and control servo's connected to the adafruit 16 channel servo shield ?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

adafruit_support_bill

Re: adafruit 16 channel servo shield with nanPy

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

First find the VCC jumper pads. Cut the 5v trace and make a solder bridge to the 3.3v for compatiblility with the Pi logic levels.
You will need to connect 5 pins from the Pi to the shield:

GND->GND
+5v->+5v
3.3v->3.3v
SDA->SDA
SCL->SCL

Then use the library and follow the instructions here: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-16- ... spberry-pi
The shield is basically the same circuit as the breakout board, only in shield form.

foobin

Post by foobin »

Thanks for your reply,

However do you have any screenshots or pictures on this? Im fairly new at all this and still trying to find my way around!

The main thing im confused about is the connectivity between the Pi and Arduino. I thought the Shield connects by sitting on top of the Arduino, and the Pi connects to the Arduino via USB.

Thanks

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

However do you have any screenshots or pictures on this?
The closest we have for the Pi is the tutorial linked above. The shield and breadboard use the same circuitry and library. The Arduino shield version was just re-packaged for use on an Arduino.
I thought the Shield connects by sitting on top of the Arduino, and the Pi connects to the Arduino via USB.
In theory, that should be possible. We do not have any tutorials on that. Not sure what the benefit would be of doing it that way, there is much less hardware and software overhead communicating directly via i2c.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”