Wave shield + Graphic LCD combination

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
idok

Wave shield + Graphic LCD combination

Post by idok »

I am interested in running an Arduino program with the Wave shield and adding a graphic LCD (not character only) - monochrome or color - both is ok. OLED, VFD - all ok too, no hard requirement.
also I want to be able to display bitmaps on the LCD reside on the SD card of the wave shield.

Thing is that the Wave shield uses (by default) pins 2,3,4,5,10 and that collides with most of the LCD screens I saw at Adafruit, but I think they are used as SPI and the (some of) the LCD modules use SPI too - maybe it can be reused or connected in parallel but I'm not sure how/if it'll work, or even utilize the ICSP port?

Can you recommend on a specific graphic LCD module that will be able to 'live' together with the Wave shield AND provide bitmap drawing abilities (with files from the SD)? Any known limitations?

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Wave shield + Graphic LCD combination

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

The WaveShield uses an older version of the SD library. You can't use SD together with it - you will have to use the older library calls: the same ones that the waveshield example code uses.

i'm not sure that you will be able to run a waveshield and a graphic display together on an Arduino Uno - there probably isn't enough available SRAM. You will probably need to use a Mega.

I would suggest using an I2C display. We have several I2C OLEDs in the store.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”