CC3000 buildtest fails

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
amitaisopher

CC3000 buildtest fails

Post by amitaisopher »

Hi,

I have recently purchased my CC3000 Wifi shield for Arduino Uno. The problem I have is that after loading the "buildtest" sketch from the CC3000 it seems like things start okay but then the it hangs right after the MAC address is printed. The output of the serial monitor is as follow:

Hello, CC3000!

RX Buffer : 131 bytes
TX Buffer : 131 bytes
Free RAM: 1255

Initialising the CC3000 ...
Firmware V. : 1.24
MAC Address : 0x08 0x00 0x28 0x57 0xC6 0x0C
------This is the point where it hangs-------

when I comment out the the next step in the code (described below), which is displaying all detectable SSIDs it seems we move few steps forward but then it hangs again. The code I commented out is:
/*
#ifndef CC3000_TINY_DRIVER
listSSIDResults();
#endif
*/

In that case the output of the serial monitor looks like this:

Hello, CC3000!

RX Buffer : 131 bytes
TX Buffer : 131 bytes
Free RAM: 1305

Firmware V. : 1.24
MAC Address : 0x08 0x00 0x28 0x57 0xC6 0x0C

Deleting old connection profiles

Attempting to connect to TP-LINK_3A35CA
------This is the point where it hangs-------

I have tried to do the same with encrypted and unencrypted Wifi networks but the result is the same. I also checked all my soldering with a multimeter and everything is perfect there.

Could anyone please help me to make my CC3000 work? I hope there is something that I missed.

Thanks,
Amitai.
Attachments
Serial Monitor output after commenting out
Serial Monitor output after commenting out
Serial Monitor after commenting out.png (34.08 KiB) Viewed 667 times
Serial Monitor output before commenting out
Serial Monitor output before commenting out
Serial Monitor before commenting out.png (29.05 KiB) Viewed 667 times

Franklin97355

Re: CC3000 buildtest fails

Post by Franklin97355 »

Have you modified the code to include your user name and password?

amitaisopher

Post by amitaisopher »

Hi franklin97355,

Yes. I have changed WLAN_SSID and WLAN_PASS variables to contain the SSID of my network and the password for it (if that what you meant). I have also changed the WLAN_SECURITY variable to match the encryption type of my Wifi network. Obviously, when I tried it on an unencrypted network I have modified those variables appropriately.

However, I don't understand why it wouldn't print the list of detectable SSIDs, since that is something that doesn't require password or user of any kind since it is collecting public info "from the air" .

Thanks,
Amitai.

amitaisopher

Post by amitaisopher »

Anyone has any idea what could go wrong and how to troubleshoot this? I am kind of hopeless and sad since this is a brand new CC3000 shield I got as a present :-(.

DWellborn

Post by DWellborn »

Hello,

I too got stuck at the same point. In my case it turned out that the library can't handle a hex password which contains a 0x00. The problem has been acknowledged and root caused.

Any chance you're providing a hex password which contains a 0x00 (other than at the very end)?

Dale

amitaisopher

Post by amitaisopher »

Hi Dale,

Thanks for your response. I didn't use hex password, I also tried to connect to an unencrypted Wifi and the result is the same in both cases (unencrypted and encrypted Wifi while WLAN_PASS variable holds the password). Here is a question for all of the expert out there - based on what I described above does it appear to be a hardware issue like a faulty board? I don't know what it means if the buildtest sketch keeps hanging.

Thanks again,

Amitai.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Double-check your wireless router to make sure it's accepting 802.11b/g connections. Some of the newer ones prefer 802.11n, and the CC3000 doesn't know how to do that.

amitaisopher

Post by amitaisopher »

Hi Mike,

I checked the configuration on my router and it configured to accept 802.11g connections only. I know my network is functioning properly since it can accept new clients (smartphones, laptops...). Is there something else that it prevents it from connecting to my Wifi? I can provide you with remote access to my machine if necessary in order to further troubleshoot this issue.

Yet, I have to ask when worse comes to worst is there any option for an RMA/replacement of this shield?

Your help is much appreciated,

Amitai.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

If it is defective we are glad to replace it for you. In the past others with this problem have found the problem to be with their routers, wifi, switches, firewalls or how those items expect the data to be sent so we try to eliminate those faults from the equation first. I can't think of anything else to test so if you would email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement. we can get you a new one.

tdicola

Post by tdicola »

One quick thing to check too, how are you powering the Arduino and CC3000? In particular is it from a USB connection to a computer or laptop? We've seen a lot of cases where the CC3000 locks up and doesn't respond because its being powered by a USB port that can't supply enough current. If you can, try using an external power supply to power your Arduino. For example on an Arduino Uno you can plug in a 7-12 volt supply to the barrel jack. If you can, give that a shot to check that it's not a power issue.

amitaisopher

Post by amitaisopher »

It works!!! :-)

Thanks a lot guys!! I can't believe it was something that simple that prevented my shield from working. I really appreciate all your help. I would like to thank to all of you who took their time and effort to reply to my post.

Have a great day,

Amitai.

tdicola

Post by tdicola »

No problem, glad it was a simple fix. Thanks for the followup!

fitz

Post by fitz »

Hi!

I cannot see any wifi networks and cannot connect to my own AP. This is what the console says:

Code: Select all

Hello, CC3000!

Free RAM: 818

Firmware V. : 1.32

Deleting old connection profiles

Attempting to connect to gspot
I am running on external power, my AP is configured WPA2 personal. There are plenty of APs around. Other devices (laptop,mobile,etc) can connect.
Am I missing something?

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Post a photo of your hardware and connections and we'll see if those give us any clues.

Shifty754

Post by Shifty754 »

I too am getting hung up at "Attempting to connect to <AP>"

Any progress on this?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”