Wave Shield + Increasing Speakers Volume

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kevin.khan

Wave Shield + Increasing Speakers Volume

Post by kevin.khan »

Hi there,

I recently assembled my wave shield and I got everything working properly. However even if I'm on the highest volume setting, I find that the speaker is still a little too quiet for my liking. I was wondering if you guys would have any ideas or suggestions as to how to make the speaker sound louder. I was thinking of using a power transistor to boost the current gain being driven to the speaker, is this a good idea? The speaker I am using has the following specs: 8 ohm impedence, response between 200Hz to 10KHz and rated for 1W.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Wave Shield + Increasing Speakers Volume

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

One of these will do the job: https://www.adafruit.com/search?q=class%20d
Or, if you have a pair of powered computer or MP3 speakers, you can plug those right into the shield output.

kevin.khan

Post by kevin.khan »

Hi there,

Thank you for the suggestions. I was also thinking about using a transistor connected to the speaker to apply a current gain. Do you think this would work to increase the volume of the speaker?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I'm sure it can be done with a transistor. We do not have any tutorials or schematics for a raw transistor-based solution. But if you search the web for "transistor audio amplifier circuit" there are plenty of designs out there.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”