Wave shield not working

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
andygrove

Wave shield not working

Post by andygrove »

Hi,

I've just assembled a wave shield and it isn't working. I've assembled one of these before without issues so I'm not sure what went wrong.

There was one step during assembly that the instructions were not clear on though, so I'm wondering if I this is the issue.

The instructions for the opamp state:
This is a similar-looking chip to the DAC. Again, check that the notch matches the silkscreen notch. In this photo, thats to the left.
The photo shows the TS922 which has a notch as well as a circle next to the notch, indicating pin 1.

Well, my opamp chip doesn't have a notch. My kit came with a TLV2462 which has no notch at all, but does have a circle, which I am assuming indicates pin 1, so I oriented the chip based on that information.

I've attached photos of the front and back. On the photo of the back the photo makes it look like two pads are touching (top, left of center) but they are not.

I'd appreciate some help figuring out what went wrong.

Thanks,

Andy.
Attachments
wavesshieldback_small.png
wavesshieldback_small.png (420.43 KiB) Viewed 178 times
waveshieldfront_small.png
waveshieldfront_small.png (460.23 KiB) Viewed 178 times

andygrove

Re: Wave shield not working

Post by andygrove »

OK, so I solved my own problem in the end... the shield was touching something on the arduino, causing a short circuit. By lifting the shield slightly it started working.

It might be an idea to update the instructions as per my original post though.

Thanks.

Franklin97355

Re: Wave shield not working

Post by Franklin97355 »

The main problem I've run into is the large USB connection (I really wish they would go to mini or micro, It's why I buy derivatives) You might consider putting a piece of tape over the area marked in the photo, it might help if that was the problem. Make sure the wires there are short and smooth.
Attachments
2014-08-29_18h12_22.png
2014-08-29_18h12_22.png (86.22 KiB) Viewed 161 times

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”